Does your SMC unit keep falling off of your dash like mine??

uwillose2

IF so any suggestions on something else to use to make it stick better? that two sided tape isn't holding too well.

Yeah mine is doing it too. I dont know where your at, but mine is due to this extreme heat here. It is literally melting the glue. There is a thread (probably a couple pages back now) where people were discusing different places they had mounted the unit. I need to look into that just havent had time yet and bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I ended up cleaning off the side of the dash with the denatured and xylene. I then got some of the high temp, double sided, sticks to anything tape from radio shack and it hasn't moved since.

My SMC unit is velcro'd to the side of the dash, above the radio. I used the velcro provided with the kit, works fine, even in the extreme heat here. Maybe you used some ArmorAll or some sort of polishing or cleaning stuff on your dash?

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
Wall Mart has good velcro. Give it a shot!

They had the same stuff that came with the kit. Or atleast here they did. I relocated mine to the ash tray.

well, its not the velcro that doesn't hold its the sticky tape. Maybe ill give radio shack a try and see what they have to offer. :cool:

c'mon guys, velcro?

use an L bracket or some thick plumbers tape.

I had the velcro on at first and it was a major pain in the ass. It was always either crooked or falling off.

I used some thick plumbers tape to fix it. I took about 4-6 inches of plumbers tape and bent one end like a "U". I took the screws off the top of the SMC control unit and put longer ones in, first by putting them through the holes in the plubming tape (and using some washers). Route the plumbing tape behind the instrument cluster panel cover.

It now fits VERY snug and has not moved since.

I have one picture. I will try to get some more.

Originally posted by jsta6
c'mon guys, velcro?

use an L bracket or some thick plumbers tape.

I had the velcro on at first and it was a major pain in the ass. It was always either crooked or falling off.

I used some thick plumbers tape to fix it. I took about 4-6 inches of plumbers tape and bent one end like a "U". I took the screws off the top of the SMC control unit and put longer ones in, first by putting them through the holes in the plubming tape (and using some washers). Route the plumbing tape behind the instrument cluster panel cover.

It now fits VERY snug and has not moved since.

I have one picture. I will try to get some more.

Hey Shawn,

Hows about a link to a pic of this set up with the SMC and plumber's tape? Velcro isn't working for me after 3-4 different attempts to the side of the dash above radio pod. I'm wondering about that plumber's tape and need a permanent solution to keeping the SMC control unit neat and in place. I want to keep the unit in line of sight for obvious reasons and don't want to relocate it. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Originally posted by stevemon
PLumbers tape. ;) I'm only guessing but I believe jsta6's reference to plumbers tape is a trade nickname for the 1" wide roll of steel strapping with holes every inch or so. Common use for it is to nail pipes up against floor joists.

Hey Steve,

How's it going? Would that be available to lay public at a Lowe's or a Home Depot? suppose I could find it in the plumber's supply section, huh?:cool: What other names might this product have when searching for it? Does it have an adhesive side to it? I don't want to use anything that might damage the side of the dash panel. TIA!

go to a good paint and body supply store, and buy some 3m double sided emblem tape(the stuff you use to put emblems on cars) it hols all kinds of stuff, and works great even in houston, in the summert itme it is like 80% humidity and up to like 110 degrees.

Sam

Wash the dash with some good old denatured alky. Deep cleans.

You can also use 5 minute epoxy on the velcro to make it permanent if you want it permanent. :)

I used 3M high strength outside double sided mounting tape. It's for like mounting house numbers and stuff outside. Works awsome. It sticks VERY well but you can also get it off fairly easily if you want to.

wow that is cool man! how do you hook up the power injection light to where it lights up when you start spraying alky? and how do you hook up the low fuel light to where it comes on when your alky is less than a 1/3 full

Originally posted by d0n_3d
wow that is cool man! how do you hook up the power injection light to where it lights up when you start spraying alky? and how do you hook up the low fuel light to where it comes on when your alky is less than a 1/3 full

Basically just ran two wires from the green and white wire terminals (I think those) at the box to two lights.

I bought some high temp hook and loop material at Radio Shack and mounted the SMC box again. Bought the highest tensile strength stuff they had. So far, so good...... :) If anyone is interested in trying what I found, I could supply the RS part number. About $3.00 for 4 strips. 2 strips looked sufficient to ahere unit to side dash area. Hope it continues to work!

dash wiring

More on the dash wiring please!

What kind of bulbs did you use (or are bulbs already in the dash)?
Easy to install bulbs into dash and leave room for wiring?
Techniques?

thanks,
Scott

You need two of the dash bulb holders. Plastic piece that turns one half turn to lock the lamp assembly in the hole like all the other lamps.

There are no traces to use on my digital dash for the power injection and the low washer lamp areas. Holes are in the dash.

So there are two little brass or copper tabs where the new dash bulb contacts. You have to buy two bulbs for the new sockets all should be available at Pep Boys etc.

You solder two 20 or 22 gauge wires one to each side of the socket on the tabs. Make sure they are bent back far enough and wrapped or insulated from where the plastic will hit the dash.

Get behind the dash and plug them in place and wire the bulbs to the controller which is the next topic....

:)