Does this seem excessive?

shaggy

I got my block back from the machine shop and it looks like there is a lot of casting flash. If I hit this stuff with a screwdriver I can break off pieces of it. Does this look excessive. I've been inside a half dozen or so engines and never seen one this bad before. The engine was a freebee that I don't know the history of. My plan was to use it as the base for an econo rebuild for my skyhawk. The engine had evidently been rebuilt not to long a go. It's bored .030" over and one of the cylinders is sleeved. It checked out good at the machine shop and they re-honed it for me. The bearings where ate up though and I'm wondering if a piece of this junk may have broken loose and done the damage. Any comments?

Attachments

• IMG_6739.jpg
    IMG_6739.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6741.jpg
    IMG_6741.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6744.jpg
    IMG_6744.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 55
huh

I've seen very little in engines I've built, if I were you, and in doubt, get a die grinder out, and do a little elbow work to it. Try to get as much as you can, if you put it back together like that, you will always have that in the back of your mind, and you wont be able to eat, drink, sleep, work, make love, make money, take care of the kids, the dogs will starve, etc. :rolleyes: .02cents. :smile:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I don't need to loose any sleep over this. The rebuild will have to wait until I can spend some time on the block.

Thanks