Does this block and crank have any value?

Mike70gtx

This is the block out of my car from several years ago. It is a .40 over Jasper rebuild, so the crank wasn't the right one. I bought a standard block for my rebuild. I also have a crank that I bought that is .10 over and .20 over that I did not use. These have been in a shed but the moisture has left there mark. Would this clean up? Should I try to sell, if so how much? Or head to the scrap yard? Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• IMG_8569.JPG
    IMG_8569.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_8568.JPG
    IMG_8568.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_8570.JPG
    IMG_8570.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 375
If you decide to scrap it send me a note and I'll see about coming up and taking it back with me.:biggrin:

Both should be able to be saved but they will need to go to a machine shop to see if they can. I've seen SBC cranks much worse but that's a Chevy and not a Buick.

What is the most you'd bore one of these motors to? Isn't .30 the most for serious horse power?

I've seen a few members going .060 but I wouldn't try it unless you have the block sonic checked. I wouldn't have a problem with .040 myself though. With out a sonic check there's no real way to tell how much further you would be able to cut the block.

Try spraying them down with WD-40 and leave them both sealed in garbage bags for a few months.
Check then and see what's what.

Yes the blocks and crank can be saved from the rust.

A machine shop should dip them in acid for a while. The rust comes right off after a while.