Does the rear spoiler really do anything?

It provides little downforce, but if you need more the GM engineers provided ajustability, you just have to leave the trunk decklid in the up position.;)

When you get up to really high speeds, there will be so much air flowing under your car that it will actually start to lift your car up. This lift causes lower rolling friction and that means you have less control of your car. You eventually get to a point where the traction, or rolling friction, is too low to control the car at all. Remember that you are travelling at a very high rate of speed and no control is a terrible thing.
Adding a wing will provide the down force you need to keep traction. As was pointed out, a wing that is merely bolted to the trunk lid will have limited ability to help.
Another affect is it can help keep you straight if cross winds are a danger - but again this is only at very high speeds and a really specific scenario.
The speeds involved vary depending on the car and its static measurments mass, wheel base and all that stuff. Another way to control such a problem is an air dam on the front of the car. Another rice staple, I might point out. The air dam will increase wind resistance but help control how much air flows under the car.

Is this turning into a spoiler envy thing? My spoiler is bigger than yours. Break out the uncle ben's, it's rice time. Effects of a spoiler is dependent on size, shape, and speed you are at. Most factory car spoilers have almost no effect at any speed.

I love it Ed. You notice the speed limit sign about the car? He is definately in need of that spoiler.

OMG,

Fellas, this is NOT what I was talking about! That's rediculous. Now, it's some dumb kid like this that will go through a car wash.. have that Top Fuel wing ripped right off and sue for millions!!

Or better yet.. sue Acura because they didn't say that having this rediculous thing would create so much down force that it would cause the front tires to lose contact with the ground at high speeds.

Actually, the governing body here that inspects cars and regulates what can and can't be put on a car (TÜV) probably wouldn't allow that on the autobahn.

HOW SAD!

Originally posted by gn85
Or better yet.. sue Acura because they didn't say that having this rediculous thing would create so much down force that it would cause the front tires to lose contact with the ground at high speeds.

I've always wondered why ricers would want downforce on the REAR wheels of a FRONT wheel drive car.......

There was a pretty good article on all this in a major car mag a while back, where they interviewed factory designers, wind tunnel experts, etc. They found that most rear spoilers are put on factory cars because the sales department wants them. And then the designers focus on making sure the things don't HURT the car's aerodynamics.

On the other hand, a little rear spoiler like the GN's may reduce aerodynamic drag. It won't provide meaningful downforce, but it will help the car move through the air more cleanly by reducing turbulence behind the car (which might explain the "dirty" vs. "clean" effect noted above). Some do help prevent lift at high speeds. An example is the Audi TT, which originally came without a rear spoiler, then the factory recalled them to install a little rear lip to keep the ass from lifting at speed and causing morons to spin their cars.

Front spoilers are more helpful at everyday speeds. I've read that a good front spoiler or "air dam" can have a worthwhile effect at speeds as low as 30 mph by reducing drag and keeping some air out from under the "dirty" bottom of a car. This helps "suck" the car onto the pavement and improve cornering.

lol! Is that spoiler actually suction cupped on? On that case I don't think to much downforce would be a problem as it hasa sort of "safety release" for too much downforce. :D

I have a rear spoile from a Monte SS on my Cutlass, why? Not because I thought it would actually do anything but because I came across it cheap and was looking for something to dress up the rear after it was painted again. I think it does look good but I doubt it does anything much.

On the other hand I did buy the Lauren Engineering front spoiler for a Hurst Olds and that did make a difference. The car doesn't lift in the front on the freeway and as a result feels much more stable and responsive to steering, etc. I originally was looking into one of these to help visually lower the front I didn't think it would help the aerodynamics.

Matt, that was the information that I was looking for.

I remember the Audi TT first coming with the option to have or not have that lip on the rear deck, but later it was mandatory because of problems at highway and more important German autobahn speeds. So far, every one I've seen here has the lip on the back.

If you could find that article, I'd be interested in reading it.

As for the front air dam, I'm sure there might be some affect, but as low as 30mph is pretty interesting as well. I wonder if the hot-air air dam actually has an advantage over the intercooled.