Does oil go through Turbo Saver first or the oil cooler?

F

Fred 86 GN

I am thinking of hooking my stock oil cooler back up to the engine, but I want to make sure that the oil goes from the cooler to the filter, and not the other way around.

I have rebuilt the engine and do not want small pieces of main bearing that *may* be stuck in the oil cooler going through the fresh bearings! If it has to go through the filter I would feel better about hooking it back up.

Thanks,

With the "sandwiched" stock oil cooler adapter, oil goes thru the cooler (in radiator tank) first, then thru the stock filter.

***BUT*** there is a bypass in the stock filter mounting base. Depending on oil temperature, oil viscosity, oil press, etc, some amount of oil will bypass the filter and NOT get filtered !!!

If you think, or know, there is crud in your stock cooler, it is a bad idea to re-connect it.

Get a separate, external cooler instead

oops, I just noticed you said "Turbo Saver" in your heading, but even so, the filters typically used (eg Baldwin B279) have a 20psi bypass.

There is a much lower, but non-zero, chance that crud in your cooler could get back into engine.

Too bad cooler wasn't designed to be AFTER the filter !

Here's a schematic of the oil system, it doesn't really change with the addition of the turbo saver:

http://pages.prodigy.net/buickv6/_images/oil pump schematic.pdf

Basically, if it goes through the oil cooler, it HAS to go through the filter. Oil that goes through the oil filter bypass doesn't see the oil cooler or the filter.

Be that as it may, many folks have apparently experienced trash migrating from the oil cooler to the rest of the engine. The only way I can see this happening is if it passes through the bypass that is built into most oil filters, which opens when the oil is cold and the filter pressure drop is high. If you get a filter that has no bypass, you *should* be okay. But do you really want to risk your engine over that? IMHO, if you really want to use an oil cooler, either get an external one or replace the one in the radiator with a new one. I got a 3 plate EOC from GM (an upgrade from the stock 2 plate EOC) that was installed in my rad by a radiator shop. A bit less than $100 I think for the cooler, and maybe $20-30 to get it installed. And peace of mind...

John

hmmm... if ur using pte's turbo saver and oil is bypassing , wouldnt the turbo starve for oil? that doesnt sound good.

surej