Does my radiator need to be replaced?

Dr. Jeckel

I have everything in my post. As the days are warming around here to around 80 degrees or so in mid afternoon I have noticed my temps don't stay in the 160's for too long. The temps get to 173 on scanmaster then the RC dual fans kick on and cool it back down to 164 after about a minute or two. But after a couple minutes they will start to rise again, get to 173 then the fans kick on and bring it back down. While cruising at highway speeds, temps stay around 170 at 2200rpm. The other night in about 50 degree weather I made two runs pretty close to back to back and temps reached about 187 at the end of the 2nd run. I let the car idle for about 5-10minutes while talking in a parking lot, got back in and it was at 162. I think I am going to put an external transmission cooler on the car to get the temps down. Also the oil cooler lines do not run through the radiator as the car didn't come with them. Is my radiator performing like usual or should I consider a replacement? I am going to replace it sooner or later, just wondering if it was normal, with the temps I am seeing and how the temps rise soon after the fans cool it down. Thanks, James.

I have the Be Cool radiator + dual flexalite fans that flow 5200CFM with a front mount. My temperature will raise to 165-170 then drop down to 160 for the rest of my cruise.. even if I push it hard it will still stay at 160 =D.

Maybe you can flush your radiator (not yourself.. go to a place and get it done with the machine and all that good stuff).

What temps. are you seeing around town with the A/C on.

That would be a good test.

This is a stickup

Not trying to be a thread burglar but...
Progressive, which Flexalite setup are you using? Is it a single shroud with two fans or is it two 12" fans? I am looking into another fan setup to better help my Be-Cool as I am still using the factory fan. Thanks.

Eric

first, does not sound like you have any issues at all. Working good. Check with the AC on. If you temps stay down you are golden. Jester, I recommend you go to ramchargers and get their dual fan kit. less than 90.00 and easy to install and works like gangbusters. Hope this helps.

Sounds normal

I typically run just a bit cooler than that but I'd say you're OK. Radiators aren't that expensive, if it sets your mind at ease, order a new one. You might want to do some exploring inside of your unit to see how the rust/scale/calcium situation looks. Arizona GN sell's a product called RMI 25 which is highly endorsed by fleet companies. It will put the rust/scale/calcium problem in reverse. - FAB6

Well, temps around here are getting into the mid 80's and yesterday I took about a 15 mile trip cruising at 75 mph, 2200rpm, and temps got up to 198* with AC on. But when I started slowing down and just cruising through town the temps got back down to about 180* with AC on. Since the car cools better when barely going(because of dual fans I'm sure) it leads me to think that my radiator is less than efficient. The fans turn on at 171* and off at 162*, as per SM. As long as temps are in the 60's around here the temp's stay in the 160* range nearly all the time. I'm just afraid of when the temps get to high 90's.
Do you think I should try a radiator flush first?
Then if that doesn't work I think I will give Nick Micale a call to place an order for a radiator.
Opinions or insight is greatly appreciated.