Does anyone have any tricks radio reception tricks...

DaveLC2

Everytime I upgrade to an aftermarket deck the radio reception always goes out the window. Usually FM is not that bad but AM is always horrible. I like to listen to the traffic reports on AM and also certain talk shows on AM if I am on a long drive. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks on this issue. The factory decks always have superior AM/FM reception. I guess the Antenna is tuned for the factory deck :confused: One thing that I did on my Evo is I bought a $12 amplified antenna and it really helped FM but AM is still a little weak. Most of the Evo guys put the Honda S2000 shorty antenna on which makes the bad reception even worse.

Stick with a good name brand radio.

Pioneer and Kenwood seems to have the best reception here.

The factory is not tunned for the factory radio and any aftermarket radio will work.

Stick with a good name brand radio.

Pioneer and Kenwood seems to have the best reception here.

The factory is not tunned for the factory radio and any aftermarket radio will work.

Yup I have a Kenwood now and it's much better than the Alpine I used to run. I do remember the Pioneer Supertuner's of the late 80's and early 90's. Those pulled some good reception from what I remember.

Yup I have a Kenwood now and it's much better than the Alpine I used to run. I do remember the Pioneer Supertuner's of the late 80's and early 90's. Those pulled some good reception from what I remember.

The pioneer super tuner and the best for radio reception and next would be a kenwood.

A mast style antenna would get the BEST reception possible. Those stubby or FM boosters don't work very well.

all of the comments on FM radio reception on the different brands are true. However, you are not going to have any easy time trying to find an aftermarket radio with what you consider "good" AM reception. Radio mfr's just are NOT going to put alot of time into the AM section of their radios when the consumers are demanding other modern features...CD,Ipod interface, etc etc...

The comment on a standard 31" factory antenna for best AM receptio is absolutely true. No antenna booster is going to help except to help boost the noise as well. And yes stubby antennas and/or improperly installed replacement antennas will make the reception even worse. FWIW you will find that AM reception will be better at night....during certain times of the year. Your Am reception will always be adversely affected by changes in terrain, quality of antenna system, and time of year.
Edward

a couple of common things to check assuming the part of the antenna that you see is in good condition.

you can check the coaxial cable itself for damage. And you can also check the connector that slidesinto the back of the radio. It is common for that connection to become loose or even fall apart.
But if you are getting any kind of AM reception AT ALL then your antenna system is functioning properly. You will always get FM reception if there is something stuck in the antenna hole.

Do you have any kind of FM modulator installed?
That will also reduce the quality of you AM reception.

Edward

Another thing you can do in checking if the antenna has bad connection is to put on a weak am station and then moving the antenna mast to see if the reception gets better or check the connection under the hood by the blower motor.