Dodge Viper goes down!

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
My first post in the Kill section, so I apologize if I am a little long winded, just had to share. Took me what seemed like half an hour for my heartrate to settle down.

I was on my way back from the lake this morning. We had spent the week down there on a mini-vacation. I had some errands to run this morning so I left before the wife and kids. It is mostly winding country roads on the way home so I was just cruising along listening to the radio, when I noticed a red convertible behind me in the distance. I didn't pay much attention to it and kept it at the speed limit of 55.

The red car closed the distance on me in the curves and I looked back to see a Dodge Viper. I don't know much about them, and have never raced one until today, but it looked to be a late 90's model, after checking them out online when I got home. Driver appeared to be in his late 40's/early 50's. Passenger was a bubbly looking blonde early 30's, with a top too small, let's just say she was a little top heavy. Classic mid life crisis right behind me.

A long straight stretch was approaching and I thought he would try to pass once we got there. I just couldn't let that happen if there was no traffic. I could hear my heart beating in my ears, I was giddy with anticipation. We got to the straight stretch and there were several cars and a couple trucks hauling boats so he stayed in line behind me. I did goose it a couple times to see if he wanted to play and he responded in kind by gassing it and closing the distance after I lifted, followed by a few revs from a wicked sounding V10.

Another hilly/curving section was in front of us so I behaved and just cruised along, he was pacing me at a safe distance but closed it up quickly followed by another rev once in that area. I think we both knew another straight stretch was coming and wanted to get at it. The upcoming straight stretch was close to a 1/2 mile slight incline. Quick check of the scanmaster and gauges showed all systems as a go for launch!

Coming down the hill I could see no traffic ahead and slowed down to 5 MPH before I even got to the last curve, turning on my hazard lights. I came to a complete stop right as the road straightened. He pulled up beside me and just grinned.

I asked "You want to run 'em?" He replied "Love to!". I said "Have her count down from 5." He just nodded his head, he said something to her and she started to count down.

I already had one foot on the brake and one on the gas. As soon as she said 5, I started brakeboosting. He started to bring his RPMs up as well. His Viper has side pipes and the passenger side was pointed right at my car. By the time she got to 2, I was at 2 psi and I could barely hear her for all the noise from his exhaust. I knew he was gonna blow his tires away at those RPMs so I just held at 2 psi. She said 1, then immediately followed it with a loud "GO!.

I sidestepped the brake and my car hooked. We had to have started at the same time, because I heard the distinct sound of his tires spinning. Not squealing but spinning. The sound tires make when you roast them really good. I know I left him standing because he was a good 3-5 cars back at the 1-2 shift. My car did not let me down and pulled strong at 20 psi, with no knock. I am only running 20 psi, 93 octane with a Xylene mix I started playing with. Halfway up the straight stretch, he was starting to close the distance, but would fall back at his shifts. He never closed the gap and I was 3 cars ahead when I hit the brakes at around 125 mph (guesstimate).

We slowed back down to the speed limit of 55 and I pulled over at a gas station a couple miles ahead. He pulled in beside me and said "Good race and gave me the thumbs up." We spoke briefly, he was from out of town visiting friends at the lake and was heading home. Good looking car and passenger BTW ;) . Said he always liked Grand Nationals and would have to take them a little more seriously from now on. He had mentioned finding one for sale and I told him about this site so I hope he will check it out.

Might have been a closer race if he knew how to drive/launch but I loved seeing the look on his passenger's face in the rearview mirror of total disbelief :eek: when he couldn't close the distance.

On a side note for the local guys, I did see a NICE looking 87 GN pulling out of his driveway right on the outskirts of Upton, KY on 224. Anyone on here?

Very Very Very Nice! Great kill and story to match!

BTW everybody likes top heavy women :p

Good Kill

Good kill. That will show him the power of the dark side.:biggrin: Good job on schooling another fool with a big money car.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Great kill!

I haven't had a chance to put on my license plate frame from from Mark (BuickGN) yet, but it says:

I LOVE VIPERS

THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN:D :D :eek:

Sounds good! Nice job!

You guys sure get lucky, running into such high class vehicles and then TROUNCING them.

nice kill , i too think it would have been a better race had he not spun out,
viper's look great and run awesome v-10 with 500+ HP. and they handle way better than any buick but they also cost like heck too. nice kill

hay joe, i just noticed your location reads fort knox, i did my basic and my at at knox are you in the army?

hay joe, i just noticed your location reads fort knox, i did my basic and my at at knox are you in the army?

Currently stationed here at Ft Knox 3-81 Armor, been in the Army since 1992. Did my basic here as well at B 1-46 INF. Only have 2 more weeks left here. Heading off to Afghanistan 17 August :frown: . I have a homebased advanced assignment projection (HAAP) coming back to Ft Knox, if I come back in one piece I hope to retire in this area.

You a tanker or Cav Scout?