Dodge ball, Deer hunter, bombardment

suprbuick7

On a lighter note,

Since we have a nice slice of diversity on this board, what about GSN, and this movie about "dodgeball". Was it played in your High School?, What was it called?, and did you use those red rubber balls or something else?.
My catholic HS We used leather volleyballs, at times had no boundaries, headshots were legal, and encouraged by gym teachers. We called it "bombardment". It was brutal but very enjoyable game, especially when you pegged someone in the head, close to the bleachers and got the "double knock" - ball off head , head off bleachers.:)

We called it bombardment in MA. We would divide the gym class in 2, set up those portable mats and use them as a blocking barrier. After I thnk 3 minutes of play the mats would be knocked over. The balls we used were some sort of hard foam, but werent to heavy. Had 2 sizes of balls, ones about the size of a size 3 soccer ball, and the others about size of a softball. As far as boundarys, the first round i think was 1/4 court (basketball) and went to 1/2 then to 3/4. It was my favorite game, wish I could still be playing it.:)

Played dodgeball in Grade school K-6 (Medford, MA).
It was as brutal as said previous. We played outside on asphalt and had nowhere to hide. We used the big (for our little hands) red rubber balls, usually used for kick ball. The bigger kids could get some speed behind these things and if smacked in the face would leave you with a red mark for 4 days, lol. those were great times :D

My high school baseball team practiced inside during the winter, so sometimes we'd play dodgeball near the end of practice. The best move is have one guy throw a ball straight up in the air onto the other team's side....inevitably, someone will look up an try to catch it. While theyre doing that, someone else runs up and drills them point blank. :D

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
The best move is have one guy throw a ball straight up in the air onto the other team's side....inevitably, someone will look up an try to catch it. While theyre doing that, someone else runs up and drills them point blank. :D

Great move and surprisingly it worked every time

Like I said before we used "tacky" volleyballs, hitting someone in the face or balls was just awesome, During one of our all out scrambles with no boundaries, I was blindsided. I was hit in the ear and broke my eardrum.

Bomb-ball!

We played that right into H.S.

The "decoy ball" gets them every time!;)

I remember being the last one standing on my side against the other team's ace. Granted I was a lot younger then and a heck of a lot skinnier. I had thrown my ball at the other guy who had a ball in his hand, he did a quick side-step to avoid being hit. I was left standing with no ball to throw so I'm a sitting duck. He winds up with all that he has and throws a perfect strike right into my outstretched arms........YOU'RE OUT!!!! Good times.:D

I used to teach an after school program for many years before I became a teacher in the school system.

I have many 'memories' of playing dodgeball. What a fun game. We used the 8 1/2" red rubber ball or Nerf soccer balls or a combination of both. Sometimes we'd use Nerf footballs if we were running low on supplies. I liked the rubber balls because they tended to bounce off the person they hit. We had the rule that if the other team caught the ball, then the person who threw was out. The directors of the program were allowed to play, but we had to stay in the back... so we wouldn't nail somebody with the ball at close range. Or we'd throw it lighter if we were close... don't want to hurt any of the kiddies. Although there were a few 5th graders that would 'accidentally' get blasted!:eek:

Some of my best memories of dodge ball:

-- One time we were playing in the gym and it was raining outside. The gym we were playing in had a leaking roof and leaked on a small area of the floor. To be safe, we would put cones around that area so children wouldn't slip, but we'd keep playing.

Well, my method of playing was pretty sneaky. I'd target someone out of the corner of my eye and not look at them. If I wasn't looking at you.. I was aiming for you. If you were moving, I was aiming at you. Well, one time the rubber ball rolled to me, but as it came to me, it rolled thru the puddle of water. I didn't see it roll thru. Well, I had my back to the other team, picked up the ball, turned around and fired. I aimed for this kid that was on the far side of the gym. Well, sure enough I hit my target. Right in the arm. But then this kid started crying and seemed to be in pain. Didn't make sense because I was so far away and the kid was a pretty tough 4th grader. Well, then I realized that the ball was wet. A wet rubber ball makes a really nasty red mark on your arm and must sting pretty bad. I really felt bad about that one.

-- One time I was playing in a smaller gym and there were only a few people left on the other team. Like I said before, I aim for anybody moving. Well, this kid sure enough started running across the gym so I decided to light him up. What I didn't realize was that he was headed to the hallway to go to the bathroom. Well, I threw the ball and hit him right as he pushed the bar to open the door and the kid goes flying into the hallway. I was a little lucky no parents saw their kid being blasted into the hallway. There'd be a lot of explaining to do.

OK.. let me stop walking down memory lane...

In H.S. We were playing against the upper classmen. He was a 290 lb. Lineman, college prospect, I was a defensive back/ Wide reciever on the JV. I was a varsity pitcher though, We were in the gym and he was mocking us, I came from the back behind my friend, as the big guy reached up to catch a riccochet, I lined up his family jewels and let her rip. Direct hit ( we used volley balls). he fell into the fetal position and crawled off the floor. He spoke high notes for the rest of gym and didn't return to the game anytime that period. I had to watch my azz in football practice for the rest of the season.

elementary was fun
but we were never allowed in highschool
but occasionally a freshman "accidently" got his ass knocked out with a basketball from long range:eek::p