Do I need ALKY?

Jimmyboost87

I was thinking about going with ALKY.... The reason why is I'm getting some knock.. Sometimes as high as 5.2 for a split second but it goes away immediately. When it does happen, and it's not all the time it's usually between the ranges of 0.2 to 2.4 but spikes out at over 5.2. This happens when I'm already going around 40mph or more and I stomp on it. But when it spikes it goes away quick.. If I floor it again nothing happens. Weird huh? Anyone with info on this?
The car has 43lb injectors,
3"downpipe,
Typhoon fuel regulator
(as per turbo tweak)

Hot wire kit with pump and chip. Also have the power plate. TA49 turbo. Everything else is stock.

Who's chip do you have and how much boost you running?
The chips from yesteryear have too much timing for the octane found in todays fuels.
If you don't have a Turbo Tweak Chip or Bob Bailey's Extender Chip, then I'd suggest tossing your current chip and having one of these burnt specifically for your set up.

Fuel pressure rising 1:1 ? If not, could be a sign that your fuel pump is not up to the task.

Post a bit more information, we will be better able to understand your issue.

Who's chip do you have and how much boost you running?
The chips from yesteryear have too much timing for the octane found in todays fuels.
If you don't have a Turbo Tweak Chip or Bob Bailey's Extender Chip, then I'd suggest tossing your current chip and having one of these burnt specifically for your set up.

Fuel pressure rising 1:1 ? If not, could be a sign that your fuel pump is not up to the task.

Post a bit more information, we will be better able to understand your issue.

Yes it's turbo tweaks chip..
His 43 lb injectors, scanmaster and fuel pump with hot wire kit. The only thing I didnt do was an adjustable fuel regulator. Eric said a typhoon stock regulator would be enough and "fool proof" because they put 43lbs stock. I did add 108 octane additive and that seemed to help a bit. I'm going to pull the plugs right now and see if the gap is ok. Also check for "peppering" as I read in someone else's post. Anything I'm missing? This is really annoying! I'm afraid I'm hurting the motor. I hardly ever floor it. Not cause of knock but that's how I drive it. It doesn't need to be floored to get the power.

Yes it's turbo tweaks chip..
His 43 lb injectors, scanmaster and fuel pump with hot wire kit. The only thing I didnt do was an adjustable fuel regulator. Eric said a typhoon stock regulator would be enough and "fool proof" because they put 43lbs stock. I did add 108 octane additive and that seemed to help a bit. I'm going to pull the plugs right now and see if the gap is ok. Also check for "peppering" as I read in someone else's post. Anything I'm missing? This is really annoying! I'm afraid I'm hurting the motor. I hardly ever floor it. Not cause of knock but that's how I drive it. It doesn't need to be floored to get the power.
So I changed the pluges.. Gapped them at .28 My old pluges were all orange/brown like rust color. I think because I put Lucas fuel injector cleaner before I changed my injectors.

^^^yea how much boost?.. and not by the factory gauge..

This happens when I'm already going around 40mph or more and I stomp on it. But when it spikes it goes away quick..
when you do a hit put the car in a gear preferably 3rd to avoid any false knock from the trans and suspension.roll into it.with the tt chip you can pull timing if your boost is not to high for your combo and fuel.

Can't go wrong with it. Specially bumping up the boost. Running 21lbs on my stock turbo set up. She's clean all the way through.

Also, you might want to check under the car to see if the exhaust is hitting somewhere- been there done that....

Not trying to be a smart ass, however if you are going to use your car only for Sunday going to meeting then you don't need alky. However if you use your car for anything other then Sunday going then meeting. Then everybody needs Alky. These cars are rolling grenade's. Just waiting to knock ( blow up ) . Get Alky and don't look back

Truth is nobody NEEDS alky, but everybody WANTS alky ;). Boost is addictive ya'know.

Really need more info but if you have a TT chip and it is knock there's probably enough tuning capability in the chip to work it out. You'll only need alky if you're serious about upping the boost.

I'm gonna come right out and say you NEED it. It is like an insurance policy for your head gaskets. Even if you aren't going to crank the boost up much, you never know when a vacuum line is going to pop off somewhere and let your boost go to infinity and beyond.

Wouldn't say its 100% needed, but it is a good insurance policy if you want to do do more than just go to cruise in's. I ran 19psi on my old combo for awhile on just 93oct pump gas before adding alky and later dual nozzle. Thing is I have XFI which will pull timing and add fuel if there is a problem. Went to the track for the first time and mixed in 5 gallons of 110oct for safety.