Do I need 009 injectors?

Ironlung

Jeeper
I'm currently running 009's, that were on the car when we got it. I'm thinking that it doesn't need that big of an injector. The car has a 44 turbo, stock intercooler and all of your other basic bolt ons (Houstin DP, ATR exhaust, 340 fuel pump with hotwire, alcohol injection, Vigilante converter, trans brake, yada, yada, yada). I've sold the car to my dad and he isn't worried about racing it. Just wants good drivability. The car is more sluggish on the bottom end than my stock GN and has a rough idle. Would we be better off to drop to a smaller injector and if so, what size do you recommend?

Thanks!

I've also got the 009's and was having awful rich, stumbling issues with it. Someone told me to try a TurboTweak chip and let me tell you, it's idles great, even with an aftermarket cam. I'd leave the 009's and contact eric@turbotweak.com. I hate to sound like a shameless plug but I was at my wit's end and his chip fixed my car in about 4-5 seconds.

Anything smaller is likely to have less options chipwise than the 009s. I'd suggest finding a good 009 chip since I think they are a good match for the rest of the car. Try a search for several good threads on 009s.

Originally posted by Ironlung
[B........... The car is more sluggish on the bottom end than my stock GN and has a rough idle. Would we be better off to drop to a smaller injector and if so, what size do you recommend?
Thanks! [/B]

My opinion is find a set of blue top 36# injectors. Found these to have the best street manners in a build like yours, and there are MANY chips available. Will easily pass the strictist emissions and give good economy.

For example, the GSCA project car has a build similar to your except a 3000 stall converter. With alchy and pump gas we were able to run consistant 12.2 with no knock.

My 86 GN has 42.5's with a ta 49 and is fine. No problems with a rich condition, I have an ATR street chip.

Just make sure that I only use AC Delco o2 sensors (afs-22) and the cam sensor is on the money and a good MAF.
Tune it at the leanest/safest tune(o2 counts 780ish) at WOT in Drive on pump gas and 15-17 psi boost.
That will vary for car and location, but with the above mention parameters mine is fine.

The only time I had problems was when I first purchased the car and the guy that owned it before replaced the timing chain and screwed up the cam sensor setting and it was pig rich.

Why do you recommend the AFS-22 GNX O2 sensor instead of the AFS-20 sensor that is stock on the GN's and T's?

I've heard many times 009s are rich at the bottom and lean at the top and more difficult to burn chips for. Best thing with 009s is MaxEffort. Rich bottom is probably what you've been experiencing. I run 50s with no driveability problem. Also, get the same mpg as I did with stockers.

Re: Re: Do I need 009 injectors?

Originally posted by Nick Micale
My opinion is find a set of blue top 36# injectors. Found these to have the best street manners in a build like yours, and there are MANY chips available. Will easily pass the strictist emissions and give good economy.

For example, the GSCA project car has a build similar to your except a 3000 stall converter. With alchy and pump gas we were able to run consistant 12.2 with no knock.

I defer to Nick in all things technical. :) Still I have to wonder about running 36's with a TE44. Methinks the 44 is capable of supporting significantly more power than the bluetops. Even if not you are going to be above the "safe" injector DC of 85% or so with blue tops.

Then again if your Dad is going to tool around in it and not push it to its limits then the 36#'ers or 37# Delphis would be an option. I still say there are lots of good 009 chips around though.

Fuzzy u asked why I use the AFS 22 o2 sensor.

It seems to hold up better and they used it on the GNX so I figured I would try it and it proved its worth and work well.

The bosch O2 sensors gave me alot of problems.

Denso makes a lead proof sensor that people are saying alot of good things about . I am going to give em a try in the future.

Ihave a mint set of blues if you want them.800 miles on them,200.00 shipped.Lubrant also has an excellent program for 009's.Blues are good for 112 to 115 in the 1/4 depending on the weight of he car,some have gone faster with two pumps at them though.Excellent street manners,same with the 50s.I don't care for the 009s.They are not much better than the blues for power unless you have more fuel pressure,then you run into the point of diminishing returns with one pump.Jim

Hey Davey...

Hey Davey...

I'd have to agree that the driveability problems you noticed are the result of the chip program and not the injectors. We have 009's in OG with a Lubrant program and have not noticed any driveability issues. Maybe that TT chip you're about to install will restore the car's driveability.

Hope all's well with you and the family...