Do I have enough for 11's??

lieu910

Hello guys,

This is a question for people who are involved with racing their GN's.

This winter I have added:

GT61 turbo
PTE Stock location I/C
70 mm TB
50 lb injectors.
3 " DP
ATR exhaust
valve springs
Running 22# Boost
100 octane fuel
Motor is stock with 27k
3200 stall w/shift kit

Will this get me into the 11's??? And what should my next mod be?

11s

what should my next mod be
Hey not sure if you forgot to list it, but I would definately get a walbro 340 fuel pump with hotwire kit, and even Razor's Alky kit;) . Also get a test pipe for your cat, and a cold air intake with the K&N cone filter, that'll help as well. Good Luck.

GEEEEEEZ! more like very low 11's. if you can hook:D get some slicks might as well you have everything else!

Re: 11s

Originally posted by t3intercooled
Hey not sure if you forgot to list it, but I would definately get a walbro 340 fuel pump with hotwire kit, and even Razor's Alky kit;) . Also get a test pipe for your cat, and a cold air intake with the K&N cone filter, that'll help as well. Good Luck.

You're right I did not list those and have them - except for alky. I am leaning towars some Champion alum. heads and a cam for next year. I really don't want to run more boost.

May have to run 116 leaded with a little more boost to get a good mid-11. I have just about the same setup and ran a 7.23 in the 1/8th which would be a low-mid 11.

This is my opinion.

Go back to the stock TB or have the stock TB bored. The 70 is to big for your combo. When I was ruuning 11.20's I went to a 70 TB and it slowed the car down .2 tenths. I put the stock TB back on the car and I was right back to where I was running before.

Your next mods should be ported heads and intake.

Good Luck

You have the stuff for 11's. I have a similar combo and with no tuning and unable to hold more then 3lbs at the line I was able to get 11.92 I think you are going to need more boost and/or a great launch. I would go with alky. I have been able to run 27 lbs of boost on 93 and alky (Razor's kit) with no detonation.

My brakes are fixed now(converted to vacuum) and I have been tuning with the trans + and extender chip. I think I can get the car into the mid/low 11's. I will found out in a few weeks.

Unless your up here on the mountain, 11's should be in the bag after a little tuning.

Originally posted by Chris McDade
This is my opinion.

Go back to the stock TB or have the stock TB bored. The 70 is to big for your combo. When I was ruuning 11.20's I went to a 70 TB and it slowed the car down .2 tenths. I put the stock TB back on the car and I was right back to where I was running before.

Your next mods should be ported heads and intake.

Good Luck

I am pretty set on alumminum heads, cam and ported intake next year. Do you think the 70 will be a good match at that stage? I think you're right btw, I bought it thinking I would grow into it.

I agree, the combo is there for 11's... however it may take more than 22 lbs on a unopened motor.:D

I still think the 70 is to big even when you add the ported heads and intake. Im running 10.60's and wouldn't consider putting one on my car until low 10's.

Also...put stait C16 in the tank, slicks on the rear bump the boost up to 25-26lbs and go have fun.

Later

Try a PP?

Maybe try adding a power plate to slow the air flow down with that 70mm TB? I know there has been lots of posts about this, how the PP helps the air flow reach all the cylinders evenly, how the PP hold up the air flow to allow more boost, the PP doesn't do anything, etc, etc, etc... I bought a PP for the stock plenum, my thinking was that if I get more controlled airflow at lower boost levels, and if there is a little back pressure I can build more boost. This should help the idle as well as the mid range power. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but maybe this would be a way to create more back pressure at the intake to make up for having too big of a TB. I know I just opened a can of worms, maybe I’m wrong and maybe I’m right, just something to think about. Maybe somebody that has tried a 70mm TB and a PP at the same time can give you some input.

Sounds like you may be paranoid on turning it up!
Do not be afraid to turn up the boost!
As far as i am concerned timing will kill your motor way faster then boost..........
I prefer low timing and high boost.
Tried the low boost high timing method and you can kiss your rod bearings good bye REAL fast if you detonate!
I have found high boost and low timing more forgiving........
Good luck! :)

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
Sounds like you may be paranoid on turning it up!
Do not be afraid to turn up the boost!
As far as i am concerned timing will kill your motor way faster then boost..........
I prefer low timing and high boost.
Tried the low boost high timing method and you can kiss your rod bearings good bye REAL fast if you detonate!
I have found high boost and low timing more forgiving........
Good luck! :)

You're very perceptive. I have my mind set on running 100 octane. I know people like their alky, but I'd rather not do it. I like the idea of going to the local gas station and just filling up with 100 octane. I only drive the car 500 miles a year - so it makes sense for me.

Based on the 100 I decided 22 # might be as far as I want to push it on boost. My goal was a mid 11 second car, which might not be possible as the car is set up right now, so I may need to be patient until next year when I get some Champion aluminum heads and cam. Then it should be there no problem.

Originally posted by tracy
You're very perceptive. I have my mind set on running 100 octane. I know people like their alky, but I'd rather not do it. I like the idea of going to the local gas station and just filling up with 100 octane. I only drive the car 500 miles a year - so it makes sense for me.

Based on the 100 I decided 22 # might be as far as I want to push it on boost. My goal was a mid 11 second car, which might not be possible as the car is set up right now, so I may need to be patient until next year when I get some Champion aluminum heads and cam. Then it should be there no problem.

Hmmm could have swore i read that you only want to run 22psi no matter what........are you also lieu910?? :confused:

Sounds like you have all the answers, why bother asking questions??? :confused:
Oh well, what do i know!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
Hmmm could have swore i read that you only want to run 22psi no matter what........are you also lieu910?? :confused:

Sounds like you have all the answers, why bother asking questions??? :confused:
Oh well, what do i know!:rolleyes:

I appreciate the feedback - really. I've picked up some great ideas so far. I wish I had all the answers, but I'm still running to catch up.

;)

Sorry, I threw you with the different user name I logged on from my office.

You don't even need all the parts you have now. It's been recently proven that a 100% STOCK unopened LC2 with a GREAT hook will take a full weight TR down into the 11.3x's at 116+ mph....and that's on a alky/pump tune! If you have time, go to the alky forum on this board and look for the thread started by Ed Brewer about his TR running 11.30's.....I can attest to the authenticity of this run.