do GNs get stolen a lot

i think there are a lot of people on here that do. when i get mine i plan on driving it daily in the summer, it will not come out and play in the winter. rear wheel drive and a lot of power do not mix well with snow :). i suppose ill get some good theft deterants and hope for the best. it really sucks these car get targeted. it may be a bot because there easy to steal but, i dont think thats all of it or else regals and other g bodys would get stolen a lot. i think its more the joy ride factor, which is why the probally always come back trashed. i cant believe people come up with rollbacks and tow trucks and steal them though, why do they want these cars so bad??? its gotta be easier to chop a honda when theres a million on the road, i do know there one of the most stolen cars in the country. it just dosnt make any sense why they go throught that kind of trouble to get a GN.

Rmt

Has anybody else used this yet? That looks pretty sweet and the price is right too.

i cant say from experience because i have not user any of them, but what i see about that one is that you have to pay everytime you get an position update. plus with it, like lo-jack, you have to know youre car is gone before anything can be done about it. so if youre asleep or at a movie or something, you comeout the cars gone, possible for a few hours and probally wrecked or chopped by that time. also with the rmtracking thing now you have to get to a computer, with no car now mind you, find the car and tell the police, more time. i would like something that as soon as the car moves more than a foot or 2 while its activated, it either instantly alerts the police or me, both preferably. the sooner you can get to the car after thay take it the better chance you have of it coming back in one piece and getting somebody caught.

of course a device that electrocuted somebody as soon as the touched the car would probally be pretty nice also :) :D

I agree

I agree but if somebody wants your car, they are going to get it. I just want to have a chance to get it back as soon as I know it's gone. I do like the alarms that page you, that would be ok, but pagers are a dying breed. I work in the medical field and we can't get new pagers anymore, only refurbished. Is there a way to have an alarm call your cell phone? I wouldn't mind having something like that but false alarms could really be a pain in the arse. I would like an alarm with GPS or Lo-Jack so I can get the car back, whole or not. Mine's a Turbo-T so it doesn't stand out as much as a GN, but regales in general are a popular car to steal around my area, most of which sport 13” wire wheels. Hondas are up there on the list as well.

Lojack Offers A Early Warning System,if Your Car Is Started And The Keyring That Lojack Gives You Is Not In Vehicle (key Ring Has Automatic De-activation)a Signal Is Sent To Lojack ,which In Turn Will Text Message Your Cell Phone To Let You Know Your Vehicle Has Been Started I Have This On My Gn As Well As A 68 Corvette Conv .although ,i Do Not Drive These Daily It Gives Me Piece Of Mind That My Cars Are Safe ...note I Have Found That The Best Way To Keep Your Gn ,is To Not Take Your Eyes Off It

Someone needs to come up with a line lock system with a reliable solenoid or a mechanical means to apply the brakes.

I repair a device called a parking brake control valve for the CH46 helicopter that is essentially a mechanical line lock. Their brakes are basically the same as automotive brakes and what they do is just press the brake pedal down and then flip a lever that closes the system and traps the pressure. The system has a small pair of accumulators to account for pressure changes due to temperature in the system. Its a pretty simple device really, just needs a discreet actuation method, like a choke cable or something like that.

and yeah I know that wreckers have a trick to moving cars with wheels that are locked but this would still make it harder on them.

loki993 said:
...with it, like lo-jack, you have to know youre car is gone before anything can be done about it. so if youre asleep or at a movie or something, you comeout the cars gone, possible for a few hours and probally wrecked or chopped by that time. also with the rmtracking thing now you have to get to a computer, with no car now mind you, find the car and tell the police, more time. i would like something that as soon as the car moves more than a foot or 2 while its activated, it either instantly alerts the police or me, both preferably. the sooner you can get to the car after thay take it the better chance you have of it coming back in one piece and getting somebody caught.

That's why I suggested something with a proximity activation. I've seen 'em for kids (in case you and a little one get separated in a crowd) I would think that something similar would exist for you and your car. I want to know the instant it makes any sort of unauthorized movement! I'm thinking that a device that lets you adjust the distance in 1/4 mile increments up to about 2 miles would be great!

After doing some research, I found several that would call your cell phone and allow you to shut it down my cell phone by Googling "GSM car alams" and found stuff like this GSM alarm . The only problem I see is that they are all from/for China and Australia and the UK. Are they illegal in the U.S. or something?

Mine was stolen 9-3-05

I left the show in etown NJ when to eat, came out Mine was gone. YOU NEED INSURANCE, DEVICE, AND A SHOT GUN...... I wish I knew who has mine..Its a bad feeling when you you loose something you love. I didnt have insurance. Plus all the extras in the car.. The car was fun. If you like the car buy it, But get a collar.. :rolleyes:

Yes, These cars have a bulls eye on them!!! You will not sleep well at night if the car is not locked away and secure. Even in the day time you cann't let them out of sight................ Pukes and undesireables are always hawking my car where ever i go...

I suppose I should at least check into some sort of a steering column guard[/QUOTE]

YESSSSS ! it's the best $50 bucks you'll spend :) pic of mine i love it that along with my 500watt motion sensor flood light, my gm factory keypad alarm ( you gotta enter the right code within 10 sec.) my 94 jeep grandcherrokee(?) which sleeps behind it alos alarmed, my wireless video camera and my two good friends :)
mr glock 40 - and mr taurus pt-111 awesome, and last but not least my ar-15 just in case :D

Attachments

• Picture 273.jpg
    Picture 273.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 225
3 yrs ago i was attempted car jacking in my 87 gn!!!! lets just say i smashed the gas and totaled a honda in front of me and got away to the local police station!!! buick needed new bumper and filler gotta love full frame bricks!!! :D

I sleep lite & keep my AR handy! Had a monte ss aero coupe stolen, what a bad feelin!!! Bought my GN TO replace it, I like the buick better anyway!

man reading stories like this makes me sick to my stomach

i had a dream ours was stolen....it was a terrible feeling...i couldnt imagine having it really stolen :frown:

I think it is pretty much all G-bodies that get stolen, with particular interest in these GN's due to their appearance. As much as some of you want to believe they are sleepers they have 20 years of racing history and alot of people know about them.
Remember the Olds Cutlass was at the top of the stolen car lists until a few years ago when Hond's overtook them?
They made tons of these cars but think about when the last time you saw a clean example of even a NA Regal or Cutlass running around. More often than not they are beat and there are far fewer of them around making the perfectly straight black one look all the more tasty. :mad:

Someone tried to take my Cutlass once at night, luckily a neighbor heard and scared the guys off. I am sure they didn't know it was anything other than an old Cutlass as they came back in the morning and broke into a neighbors truck and stole my sisters Astro.

When I was fixing my car up it attracted alot of attention and people would often make offers to buy it. I was happy when a teen I work with said my car looked mean and like it shouldn't be messed. I thought it was funny because I would always see people walk by it and try not to look at it (sideways glances) like they were afraid but My 72 Monte they would walk by and stare at with no problem. :D

Here are some stats from the NICB

Trafficking in stolen vehicles is the second-most profitable criminal activity behind drug dealing.

For 2004, the top ten most stolen vehicles in the United States by make, model, and model year were:
1995 Honda Civic
1989 Toyota Camry
1991 Honda Accord
1994 Dodge Caravan
1994 Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup
1997 Ford F150 Series
2003 Dodge Ram Pickup
1990 Acura Integra
1988 Toyota Pickup
1991 Nissan Sentra

They also break it down by state. BTW Olds Cutlass was still #3 in 1999

6-b-kwik said:
3 yrs ago i was attempted car jacking in my 87 gn!!!! lets just say i smashed the gas and totaled a honda in front of me and got away to the local police station!!! buick needed new bumper and filler gotta love full frame bricks!!! :D
Tell us the whole story. Sounds like a good one. :eek:

Jason