distributor questions

noboost85

greasemonkey
hey guys, i have a 87 limited 3.8 and i want to put a 4.1 intake and holley390 on my v6. doing this, i will have to get rid of my egr. can i get rid of all other emissions crap? i also heard if i do all this i have to change my distributor? any recomendations? my 3.8 is pretty anemic and im lookin for a little power in my daily driver!!

hey guys, i have a 87 limited 3.8 and i want to put a 4.1 intake and holley390 on my v6. doing this, i will have to get rid of my egr. can i get rid of all other emissions crap? i also heard if i do all this i have to change my distributor? any recomendations? my 3.8 is pretty anemic and im lookin for a little power in my daily driver!!

First. According to federal law it is illegal to remove any emission equiptment from a vehicle buildt to federal standards from 1968 to present. 67 in in calinowhere. If your state has inspection it would be a problem. The egr in a NA doesn't hurt performance if everything is working properly. Everything on your car should work with the 4.1 intake you just need an e4me quadrajet and go. It's just about the same as what your'e wanting to do but you'll have computer controls which will give you better mileage and when you go WOT the puter just controls the timing. You also have a knock sensor which helps you from damaging the engine due to detonation. The Holly is a 390 cfm and if you find a q-jet off a v8 you'll have 700 plus cfm and the engine should be able to take it without a prob. A cam is also a good upgrade and if you go mild you'll get a good boost in power as well without sacrificing mileage. A 1" spacer between the carb and intake also helps get you better torque and charge speed in the intake. If you want to go without the puter you can do it but there's not a great deal of advantage to it unless you go all out.

i've had a hell of a time finding a 4.1 intake, i meant to say an aftermarket intake like edelbrock that would delete my egr. does anyone have a list of cars that would have a 4.1 so i can go junkyard hoppin?

There's a post on here or turbobuicks.com that lists the cars that come with 4.1 engines. Do a search and you should fnd it without to much trouble.