Distributor/IAC valve clearance

cooled85T

Empty Pockets
Putting a distributor in my stage block w stock style heads/intake. With the angled adapter it nearly hits the cap, I'd never be able to get the plug to clear. On straight it hits my air intake. What have distributor guys done to make this work. Thanks

I am running the same thing but have no issues with clearance. Might be a stupid question, but is it installed properly? Maybe 180 degrees out??? Mine comes close, but I still have enough clearance to remove the plug from the sensor. What if you turn it towards the turbo?

Years ago when I had my engine out and undergoing a freshen, I was frustrated with the complexity of a distributor, pipes, fuel lines, air inlet and all the other stuff going across the front of the engine, so I decided on a different path.

The main change was to turn the turbo 90 degree to the orientation to function best by having the air inlet facing the front of the car, and it eliminated the big air inlet pipe across the engine.

The picture says it all! :)

Engine.jpg

That's a great idea Nick. Sure does clean up all the mess in the front of the motor.

Gene, I am sure Mike has many hours over the years in refining the details, as my project has been on-going over 20 years!

I am also blessed to have many friends with various talent and ideas who have helped out with this project as well. :)

Looking good nick. Reminds me of the big brother to this one.

Attachments

• 1453154237645.jpg
    1453154237645.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 111
Well they both look great, my car finally runs fantastic but still looks like a piece of crap. It finally ran past a three month period so im gonna take the big leap and get it painted again, real problem is i drive it almost everyday it is nice and live on a dirt road so the paint take a beating.

To the OP, looks like a tall plenum spacer is what you need.

Good eye John, I believe that's why I went that route now that I come to think of it. But it comes at a cost. If you have a nice hood liner...... It's gonna get stabbed by the top of the upper plenum, and even worse if you still run your vacuum lines in the stock location on top of the throttlebody.

... It's gonna get stabbed by the top of the upper plenum, and even worse if you still run your vacuum lines in the stock location on top of the throttlebody.

My motto, you should never have any visible or rubber vacuum lines on a modified T-R! :)