Dispute policy

b4black

Jason,

I would like to get some clarification regarding vendor bashing and disputes among members. Until recently we seemed to have a pretty firm no tolerence towards each. Is this still the case?

This past weekend there was an active dispute thread going on for some time. A personal threat was made. I recognized the person that made the threat, sent you a message and posted in the thread that I was doing so I hopes that this might calms things down. At that same time Rollin was locking the thread. My post came in after Rollin's but just before he locked it. To everyone, it looked like I locked the thread.

I recieved many e-mails/PM's complaining that I locked the thread when other threads were allowed to go on. And other e-mails asking me to help with personal threats made by board members.

I guess a good example of the permitted vendor bashing/dispute threads is the CAS/ebay thread. This threads wasn't only allowed, it was made sticky. While it turned out with positive results, it clearly had may posts which were insulting and maybe even threating.

Where do we draw the line? Are some dispute threads acceptable, and others not? :confused:

Thanks

I am not sure why you didn't e-mail this to me.

Originally posted by b4black
Jason,

I would like to get some clarification regarding vendor bashing and disputes among members. Until recently we seemed to have a pretty firm no tolerence towards each. Is this still the case?

First and foremost, this site is not a dispute forum, period! This has been said many times and has not changed. I am not sure why peoiple think it has.

This past weekend there was an active dispute thread going on for some time. A personal threat was made. I recognized the person that made the threat, sent you a message and posted in the thread that I was doing so I hopes that this might calms things down.

All of the personal threats that were made were through private e-mail, which we have absolutely no control over and therefore has nothing to do with the board.

Regardless, I got yoru -email about it (among others) and the person in question that sent those personal threats has been asked to leave the site and did so respectfully, with apolgies for causing me trouble.

At that same time Rollin was locking the thread. My post came in after Rollin's but just before he locked it. To everyone, it looked like I locked the thread.

I recieved many e-mails/PM's complaining that I locked the thread when other threads were allowed to go on. And other e-mails asking me to help with personal threats made by board members.

Those e-mails and PMs should have been directed to the admins of the site, not you.

I guess a good example of the permitted vendor bashing/dispute threads is the CAS/ebay thread. This threads wasn't only allowed, it was made sticky. While it turned out with positive results, it clearly had may posts which were insulting and maybe even threating.

That was a RARE case, and was closely monitored.

Where do we draw the line? Are some dispute threads acceptable, and others not? :confused:

Technically, yes, but again, this site is not for disputes. We do not have the ability to oversee any transaction, so each person has to conduct the transaction at their own risk. Once fraud has been committed, it is up to the authorities to handle it. We in no way are saying we will condone any fraudulent activity, but what exactly are WE supposed to do? We can ban the person committing the fraud, but what do we go on? One word against another? There are so many fine lines in this situation, which is why it is best left up to the authorities since at that point it is a legal issue anyway.

I didn't e-mail this to you because I recieved no response to the e-mail I sent this weekend. I had know idea who or how that situation was handled. I put this here because it seemed appropriate (site help). I'm not trying to challange the policy- as I agree with it. I just wanted to make sure things hadn't changed.
It seems many other have the same question.

When I recieved emails about personal threats, I suggest to them to forward them to you. I started that thread in the lounge to explain just that. (I didn't/couldn't make it sticky).

Thanks again! :)