Discontinued Parts

Dean

Joe, perhaps you have seen the club e-mails regarding discontinued parts relative to SMOG testing. A mutual acquaintance has had quite the runaround with BAR being indecisive about what the rules are regarding his aftermarket headers and MAF T+.

At first he was told that the headers and MAF T+ were not legal. When it was explained to the BAR representative that stock replacements were not available, the BAR rep stated that if a stock part is no longer available from the manufacturer, any aftermarket replacement will do, but proof that it was not available was required. We all got pretty jazzed about that (think of the possibilities!), so written proof was obtained from GM that the following parts are discontinued:

- Turbo
- Intercooler
- MAF
- Throttle body
- Headers

Sadly, the upper manifold is still available, as is the catalytic converter. :)

This was presented to BAR, but then the representative required he go through their "Parts Locater" before considering allowing the non-stock replacements that were on his car. He made the call and was given the name of two suppliers of MAFs and headers, and both said they could not find any "stock" replacements, only remanufactured. The BAR rep then said to use the reman’s, but when it was explained that there were calibration issues with the MAF, the “deer in the headlights syndrome” surfaced, and the BAR rep decided to end it right there. At this point BAR said they would give him a ONE TIME waiver for the headers (like GM will start making them again???), but the MAF T+ would have to go. (A stock MAF will be furnished for the test.)

So what’s the deal? Is it true that if a stock part is no longer available from the manufacturer, any aftermarket replacement will do? That seems a bit far-reaching, particularly for BAR, but is there something we can do?

I find it silly that they would require a potentially (likely) mis-calibrated remanufactured MAF over the T/T+ setup, but then again they made me pull the cats off of a ‘Cuda years ago because it didn’t come stock like that. Go figure.

Tubular exhaust is not tubular exhaust. ATR list ARB approved headers, which are legal. Additionally, Cottons, ATR, and Poston claim that their drivers side replacememt headers are just that, replacements. Therefore, Cottons, ATR and Poston does not need an ARB Executive Order (E.O.) for their replacement headers. Now Terry Houston and Hooker make headers for TR that are actually different in configuration that the factory unit and would require a E.O. to be legal. Remember that ATR went through the process to obtain an E.O. for their header. The reason I chose a Poston replacement, was because I knew a E.O. would not be required.
Now, regardiing the T and T+, I talked to Kevin (at Ramchargers) regarding the possiblilty of obtaining an E.O. for the T or T+, but there seem to be little or no interest. He also indicated that an attempt was made to obtain and E.O., but interest died. I would suspect that if a modified version of the T that would only converted the MAF signal was presented to ARB, it would fly through the approval process. I possess the paperwork to begin the process, but need a manufacturer to step up and present it to ARB. I truely believe the T could obtain an E.O. We are in short supply of aftermarket MAF sensors that actually work properly (for an emissions test), so eventually the T may be the only recourse. I received the call regarding the decision on the hedder and the T, but I thought they would allow T and disallow the hedders. Please do not call and berate the Rep that made the final decision. Cause that was just my opinion, since I'm one of the few BAR employees that own a TR (there are only 2, me and a guy that works in mediation, he owns a 87 T) and has some understanding of our dilema.
If a manufacturer would step up, I think I know how it could obtain a E.O. for the T, or a modified version of the T. I definitely welcome dialog on this issue as it will help our cause and make it easier for us in the future.