digital aux input on your Delco

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
finally had time to try this mod today for a fellow board member......
this allows digital audio input using your tape deck......yes the idea is not mine,but something i saw on ebay eariler.....glad to pass along the step by step instructions for anyone still trying to use a cassette adapter or a FM modulator.since audio does not have to come through your tape head or FM tuner,the signal is alot clearer...and the car remains stock.....i will be installing what i call a 1/8'' banana jack.this is compatible with ipods,xm,etc head phone jacks on the units.amazingly i done this for the first time in less than 30 minutes........

1)pull delco stereo out.
2)mine had 3 1/4'' screws holding the bottom cover on.
3)remove 4 1/4 crews holding the tape deck to radio chassis.
4)unplug 5 pin plug,remove tape deck.

i have 3ft 1/8'' to 1/8'' banana jacks that I stock here at the store.radio shack,wall mart even dollar stores have them.should be only a couple of dollars.
cut one end off and strip wiring,you should have one right positive(usually red),one left positive (usually white)and one or two grounds on the cable.

the 5 pin plug mentioned earlier is where you're going to solder into with the banana jack wires.
the orange is right positive audio into deco amp.
white is left positive audio into delco amp.
the ground(s) from banana jack,crimp small ground terminal and use a screw on tape deck as shown.use a small zip tie to relieve stress from cable if you happen to pull too hard...run cable out of rear of deck...

after wires are connected,re-install deck,plug in harness,re-install radio to car,run 1/8'' banana jack out of rear of radio cavity under dash in a convenient place to connect to audio device.

turn car on,use a NON-METALLIC item (theres exposed circuits boards inside stereo)to push scissor arms in to "trick" the tape deck to engage/play.
plug up audio device and enjoy.......

Attachments

• 11-03-08_1547.jpg
    11-03-08_1547.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3,475
  • 11-03-08_1548.jpg
    11-03-08_1548.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 3,720
  • 11-03-08_1549.jpg
    11-03-08_1549.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3,335
  • 11-03-08_1550.jpg
    11-03-08_1550.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3,308
  • 11-03-08_1551.jpg
    11-03-08_1551.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 3,264
you can solder rca's any low level cable you wish, i use banana jacks because its the most popular.

shown in pic is the short end of the banana jack,it wont be used.....

Gary,
AWESOME! and THANKS for sharing!
You really are "Captain Electrical"! :cool:

As soon as I figure out why my left channel goes "in/out" I'll get this done!

Gary,
AWESOME! and THANKS for sharing!
You really are "Captain Electrical"! :cool:

As soon as I figure out why my left channel goes "in/out" I'll get this done!

if all speakers,ck door/rear deck for possible short to ground or voice coil going bad.....
if tape deck is going out on one channel,ck to make sure tape head is secure/clean....

garyk1970,

Can this mod be done on a factory Delco CD player? I decided to take the factory CD player from my 95 Camaro and install it in the GN, but would like to utilize this mod...thanks for your help!

Rodney

garyk1970,

Can this mod be done on a factory Delco CD player? I decided to take the factory CD player from my 95 Camaro and install it in the GN, but would like to utilize this mod...thanks for your help!

Rodney

im sure it can be done,but it will be alot harder to find the pre-input to the speaker output chips because there are no tape head to tie into.....i have no idea how to do this on a newer stereo...
wait a minute ,you've got me thinking (that could be dangerous)theres a input for a slave cassette on the back.......off to do some testing.....:cool:

This is a neat mod, but wouldn't be simpler to do what I did and get one of those "fm modulators" which plug into the lighter socket and plays music from a usb flash drive? No modification to the car's radio needed. Just tune to an unused radio station, plug a usb flash drive (which has the music you want on it) into the modulator and you're in business! :wink: Plus, you can take it from one car to another and some even have a remote control...:wink:

Link: fm modulator items - Get great deals on Electronics, eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

Claude. :smile:

FM modulators are a pita. I use one in my daily driver. I'm always battling static and the sound quality is subpar IMO. Wish I could do this mod in that vehicles CD player.

I haven't done this mod yet but i'd imagine that the sound quality is far superior to that of the fm modulator. I'm thinking of doing this to my stocker (or another stocker) until my dream stereo is completed.

I'm wondering if this can be done to the newer delco cd players as mentioned before. I'm pretty sure you can buy an adapter to do it but free is much better!

I haven't done this mod yet but i'd imagine that the sound quality is far superior to that of the fm modulator. I'm thinking of doing this to my stocker (or another stocker) until my dream stereo is completed.

I'm wondering if this can be done to the newer delco cd players as mentioned before. I'm pretty sure you can buy an adapter to do it but free is much better!
c'mon Gary!!!

c'mon Gary!!!

YES IT CAN,im sure of it because late 80's and 90's Delco stereos have the option of having a slave cassette or cd added to them,so the audio input is already there....
i have to find the time to see how the aux plug is wiried internally and how it switches sources...

i need some pics (of the FACE) of stereos that you guys are wanting to mod,and ill go out and pull one from my stash and figure it out for ya.....post up a pic here....im in the mood to tinker,so hurry:biggrin:

YES IT CAN,im sure of it because late 80's and 90's Delco stereos have the option of having a slave cassette or cd added to them,so the audio input is already there....
i have to find the time to see how the aux plug is wiried internally and how it switches sources...

i need some pics (of the FACE) of stereos that you guys are wanting to mod,and ill go out and pull one from my stash and figure it out for ya.....post up a pic here....im in the mood to tinker,so hurry:biggrin:

How about this one Gary.

I know it can be done because there are guys selling modded ones on fleabay, but I would rather not buy another one as they are pricey. Got a couple of quotes to mod mine but I have to ship it to them blah, blah, blah......

I like to tinker with stuff myself :cool:

radio.jpg

Matt

Well if you wanna tinker :biggrin:

How about a 90's chrysler radio, the square style. As someone has done here: Chrysler Jeep Dodge CD cassette radio Ipod Mp3 Sat AUX: eBay Motors (item 350330911758 end time Sep-16-10 12:48:53 PDT)

I'd send you one if you don't have one to play with. My current selection of DD's all use this radio. Also I'd love to see you do the
delco cd with slave cassette or delco cassette with slave cd. The radios have the same slave plug but I know for a fact that a cd deck will not control a slave cd for some reason, only a cassette and vice versa.
thanks either way!

Well if you wanna tinker :biggrin:

How about a 90's chrysler radio, the square style. As someone has done here: Chrysler Jeep Dodge CD cassette radio Ipod Mp3 Sat AUX: eBay Motors (item 350330911758 end time Sep-16-10 12:48:53 PDT)

I'd send you one if you don't have one to play with. My current selection of DD's all use this radio. Also I'd love to see you do the
delco cd with slave cassette or delco cassette with slave cd. The radios have the same slave plug but I know for a fact that a cd deck will not control a slave cd for some reason, only a cassette and vice versa.
thanks either way!

im sure i dont have that one...so ,pm me and ill give you my addy....send call tag for return shipping and ill hook you up:cool:.....

you're right about the delco slave deal,has to be opposite??? i have to figure the dodge stereo out...all this is done in my spare time,so give me some time (two weeks at most)...

How about this one Gary.

I know it can be done because there are guys selling modded ones on fleabay, but I would rather not buy another one as they are pricey. Got a couple of quotes to mod mine but I have to ship it to them blah, blah, blah......

I like to tinker with stuff myself :cool:

radio.jpg

Matt

Ive got one of these ;)(got to look through my stash)...ill mod it this week and post up the how to.....

also ill do another delco Ive seen alot here (late 90 montecarlo,silverado ,etc stereo)

Ive got one of these ;)(got to look through my stash)...ill mod it this week and post up the how to.....

also ill do another delco Ive seen alot here (late 90 montecarlo,silverado ,etc stereo)

Hey Gary, did you ever get around to doing this mod?
Somebody posted a "how to" for a different kind of Delco radio in the TurboTrans Am section but the internal wiring setup looks totally different than my CD radio. I dont want to start experimenting and fry something so I was hoping you had a chance to look into this.

Matt

Hey Gary, did you ever get around to doing this mod?
Somebody posted a "how to" for a different kind of Delco radio in the TurboTrans Am section but the internal wiring setup looks totally different than my CD radio. I dont want to start experimenting and fry something so I was hoping you had a chance to look into this.

Matt

sorry...havent found my stereo like yours yet...i look everytime i go in there....its buried:eek:

Gary I still got a mopar radio I want to send to you. I got a guy who needs the cd mech. out of it and I was going to put the bad one in it before I sent it out, he hasn't showed yet. I'm thinking of just sending you a nice one and paying the return shipping. Either way, I will let you know before I ship it.