didnt see a 3800 NA subforum anywhere here

CamoDeafie

wondering if anyone has ever completely divorced the OBD2 system and the L36 Series 2 3800......i'm tempted to pick up one for $550-700 from a yard after bringing the 83 Ciera 4 cyl coupe home....i want to stay within NA build, but it does seem that if i were to build a 3.8, its going to cost about 700+ dependng on machine work and such so, might as well as go straight to a L36; though the computer bits might take a bit to do....and would need reprogramming it as its never been mounted up to a FWD 3 speed factory.....

for that amount or less I have bought several parts cars with good engine/trans/pcm/harness

I wouldnt spend that much just for a NA engine at a boneyard personally

I have bought complete drivetrain 3800 series 2 sc'ed for as little as $330

drop the whole shooting match in it !

as far as running the engine & pcm with the trans out of the loop many have done it including a 3800 sc rock crawler I have done some tuning on that is running through a 700r4 , many fiero conversions , a grand national with a turbo 400 , super stalker kit cars , a 7 sec datsun pickup ,etc.....

If interested I have a 98 3800 sc motor with 51k on it, I have it for sale on craigs list. It is all in tack, never been picked apart.

the stock 3 speed FWD trans i have wont handle the boosted power levels though :( thanks for the offer...I am looking more for a L36 or L27 engine to build...

You'd be surprised. That little TH125 with a shift kit can handle that stock L67. It's tough enough for that with a few mods.

Think a little more about the swap. I would really suggest using 4T60E that came with the engine for the ease of wiring.
The 125 and 4T60E uses same mounting points and mounts, and they both can handle some HP.

I have swapped L27+4T60E to Fiero and it was very easy swap. everything basically bolted on.
On the power department the stock, 100000mile never opened trans has held 400hp after I turbocharged the combo.

Use the converter that is with the 4cyl, It should be a tad higher stall than the one that will come with the engine. I hate my 1900 stall one, but not enough to drop the engine/trans for a 2400 one from a 4cyl.

Stay away from 1994-95 PCM-s those are the infamous OBD1.5 ones that don't throw codes with paperclip, and some scanners don't read them.

i am aware of the 94-95 PCM being bastards....if i were to put in a 4 speed, i would also need the 4 speed shift indicator/cable, right? what years did the L27 come with an aluminum intake manifold? because there are 2 in the yard in the Regals that have them...and they are NOT L36s or LN3s, as the manifold looks alot like the metal version of L36's.....there is however the opportunity to take the L27s and LN3 i've seen in the U-vans complete with the 4 speed trans, but I havent fund the price for that....the cradle of the U-van is supposed to be the same as the car's i have...supposed...not quite sure if thats actually true lol.

i am aware of the 94-95 PCM being bastards....if i were to put in a 4 speed, i would also need the 4 speed shift indicator/cable, right? what years did the L27 come with an aluminum intake manifold? because there are 2 in the yard in the Regals that have them...and they are NOT L36s or LN3s, as the manifold looks alot like the metal version of L36's.....there is however the opportunity to take the L27s and LN3 i've seen in the U-vans complete with the 4 speed trans, but I havent fund the price for that....the cradle of the U-van is supposed to be the same as the car's i have...supposed...not quite sure if thats actually true lol.

Cable: not really, it will just show one gear "off".
P will be P
R will be R
N will be N
D(3) will be OD(4)
2 will be D(3)
1 will be 2
cannot select 1

so basically from P to D everything is as needed.

My combo came from U-van with 3.06 diff.

My intake is plastic, and it has held 23psi of boost.

My first wiring was just a patch cable between 3 connectors that was connecting van harness to fiero bulkhead connector, but afterwards I rewired everything for looks.

I see. i've alot of options to souping up my 83 ciera lol. i will check and see what i can get for the best prices...then see what happens.
ideally, id like to get a complete Buick FWD v6 for $100 or thereabouts....pick up is clearly needed. because for $300-500, plus shipping, I could get a good reman v6 or another whole car....lol.