Did the ECM swap...Whats this I hear about the Knock Module?

TurboRegal84

Staff member
I have been having problems with boost since I changed ECM's (or chips)

I had a Jim testa Chip in there before, and the boost spiked like crazy..I just put in a Lubrent 93 Chip, and the boost is still a bit wavy!

I have heard it from Lee Thompson, and Joe Lubrent that when you do the 86-87 ECM swap you should change the Knock Module on the car to an 87 as well!

So I THINK that the module I have in the car now (the 84) could be acting up, and pulling boost (hence the wavy boost) but if it was pulling boost/timing from the car wouldnt I see KNOCK on the Scanmaster, or Knock gauge?

Soo....do you think that swapping the knock module will make a diff?!?!?

Also how much are they, and if they are avail from GM what is the part #

Thank you..any input is apreciated!

I didn't change mine and no problems. I remember a thread a LONG time ago on the old board. It was very interesting and I would like to know more. You might want to post this in tech so more people would see it. It seems like I do remember there were two different part #s but it was so long ago. I know my dad used his old one when he converted also with no problem. The more I think about it, it seems like one was more sensitive or tuned to a different frequency or something. My brain is hurting from trying to remember that far back.

You also might want to just unplug the electrical connector from the boost solenoid just to eliminate that. The boost will be pretty low but if it stops spiking then you know the problem.

i didn't change mine,and i haven't had any problems.

fwiw,my casper's kr gauge is nuts-on with t-link,1 light per degree of knock.

Originally posted by cool 84
You also might want to just unplug the electrical connector from the boost solenoid just to eliminate that. The boost will be pretty low but if it stops spiking then you know the problem.

Well..I have done "all the tests"

Took the WG solinoid off, and tested to see if it opened and closed---Checked out ok

Blocked off the port of the Y that goes to the solinoid---The boost was solid, but I couldnt get it above 10psi

Took both Vac lines off the Actuator, and slowly eased into the boost----went up to 16psi solid, and still climbing

It seems to me whenever I put the computer/solinoid into the next work the boost fluctuates.

I dunno!?! Could the solinoid be sending the wrong signal to the comp, and then the ECM is trying to pull boost because of this false reading?!?!

Well it sounds like it's the electronic solinoid. I couldn't really tell you why. I wouldn't think it would be pulling boost because of knock if you're not getting any knock counts on your scantool.

I don't really know, but I'd like to find out what people have to say, since I'm going to be doing the conversion soon (if I can find the parts). FYI, the ESC module ain't easy to get at. You'll probably need to pull the turbo, then you might have a chance :)

Where did you get your ECM and stuff for the conversion anyway? Junk yard or new? What about the MAT? What other parts did you get (MAF?).

Dave

Originally posted by dave84gn
FYI, the ESC module ain't easy to get at. You'll probably need to pull the turbo, then you might have a chance :)

Actually the Module is easy to get to..its over on the fire wall..we are talking about the ESC Module...not the knock sensor :)

Originally posted by dave84gn

Where did you get your ECM and stuff for the conversion anyway? Junk yard or new? What about the MAT? What other parts did you get (MAF?).

I got my ECM from a local autoparts store..got the plug, and the MAT sensor from the parts store too...I had some extra wire around that I used to run the MAT wires..and I got the ECM pins from John Spina Over at Caspers....I got the MAF from a board member!

w/g solenoid doesnt send any signals to the ecm, it opens and it closes. it pulses to keep the boost constant.. if its clogged or sticking (usually theyre full of oil).. its probably not going to operate smoothly.. just shoot some carb cleaner through it till it comes out clean..

JYP rules.. $20 ecm & mat.

I changed to the 87 knock sensor when I did the changeover on mine, It was about $50.00. Its on the passenger side fendewell under some of the relays.

MIB - the knock sensor is on the block! You changed the ESC module.

I haven't had a probelm with mine - but I run an external gate, and no solenoid :D

Originally posted by Men in Black
I changed to the 87 knock sensor when I did the changeover on mine, It was about $50.00. Its on the passenger side fendewell under some of the relays.

did you notice any difference when you put in the sensor?!?!

if I choose to run a new form of boost control do you think that It will solve my problem?

I didn't notice any difference because I made so many changes at once, new headers, injectors, 87 esc, TM I/C, aluminum radiator, electric fans, and I'm still trying to dial it all in.