Did not pass in Missouri

jlasinski

I just recently bought a 1987 Grand National with some engine mods and it did not pass my Missouri State Emissions. The car has a fresh engine with only 7000 miles on it, stock cam and heads. The turbo is a Poston Te-61,it has 42.5 lbs injectors, 4" MAF with translator plus, 3" downtube, adjustable wastegate, Eric Marshall 93 Octane Chip, Walbro Fuel pump with adj. regulator and a hotwire kit. It also has the cold air setup with K&N filter. Currently the translator + is set at 2% rich. The car idles and runs great! The readings it got were Hydrocarbons 2.7174 and needs to be .8000, Carbon Monoxide 24.1441 and needs to be 15.000 and NOx 3.4681 and needs to be 2.000

The car has 134,000 miles on it which is probably how many are on the catylitic convertor and that probably needs to be replaced. Looking for some help on where to start to get this thing past my emissions. Thanks, John

Do you own a non-contact portable pyrometer? If so, then bring engine to operating temp and then do a freeway run for at least 3 minutes. Immediately pull to the side of the road and measure the cat inlet and outlet temp. The outlet should be at least 100 degrees hotter than the inlet and over 300 degrees. So if the outlet is 450 and the inlet is 400, then replace the cat. It takes energy to convert HC and CO to H2O and CO2, therefore the conversion creates heat.

Hi John,
The chip you have most likely has the EGR turned off, and open loop idle, so it's not likely to pass emissions. A chip can be made the will enable all the original emissions code, which should help you pass. Most of the chip guys can make one for you.
Regards,
Eric

Eric,
Regarding emissions chips, I don't know if this makes a difference, but Missouri emissions test is I/M240. A very grueling emissions test on a dyno using varying loads. Emissions are measured from 0-35-0-58-0 mph, with varying loads.

In St. Charles County Missouri I am able to put two bottles of iso-heet which you can get at most convenience store and it passes with flying colors. All it is is a water remover but it will make your car pass no problem.

Iso-Heet

I just passed Maryland smog check with #'s so long I couldn't believe it. I had about 3/4 tank of premium gas and put in 2 bottle of iso-heet. I never tried it without iso-heet so I don't know what the #'s would have been.....but I figured it was some cheap insurance.

missouri has emissions? news to me :eek:

where are you from?

maybe try getting it inspected at another place, maybe out of a big city, down here in southwest redneckville they dont check emissions

litdog83z said:
missouri has emissions? news to me :eek:

where are you from?

maybe try getting it inspected at another place, maybe out of a big city, down here in southwest redneckville they dont check emissions
Me too

It varies county to county, I am in St. Charles County and have to do it but right next door in Warren County they don't have to.

I installed a new 3" Hi-Flow Cat as the old one was completely gutted. I then tried setting the Translator-Plus from 2% rich to like 14% lean and added two bottles of the Iso Heat. I came within a nats butt of passing with passing on the Nox and CO, but missing on the Hydrocarbons by .2 grams. Jeez! The guy told me to drive arounds some more to allow the cat to get "broke" and try again. I did that but also tried leaning it out even more. Boy that realy messed things up as I was much higher on Hydrocarbons and now the NOX was also up. I have ordered an emissions chip and will try again when I get it.

If you leaned it out and HC and NOx rose, then you got it too lean and the engine was probably too lean on the first test. So instead, raise the FP a little from where the vehicle barely failed. That should do it.

FP is fuel pressure. do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? if so, bump the fuel pressure up. If you changed lean and rich through the translator, then make it goe a little richer, instead of leaner (but start from where the vehicle failed by 0.2 grams on HC

Finally got it to pass! I installed the TurboTweak emissions chip and a new 3" Hi-Flow Cat, adjusted the fuel pressurre to 38 psi and left the Translator + at 2% rich as suggested. It did not pass at these settings. I then changed the settings on the translotor + MAF Base to setting 8, 40% Lean and MAF WOT setting to F, 2% Lean. I don't know if this is an exact recipe but it worked and I finally got it by. Thanks everyone for your help!
John