Did a compression check and....

tysongross

Mississippi Mayhem
all cylinders were 150-170 except for number 6 which was 45... put a little oil in the cylinder and went to 180 then 170..150...130..etc checked it a couple times just to be sure.

Guess I will have to pull the motor to find out more.

Car was cold when I did the test. only symptoms are that it slowly overheats and smoke out the valve cover breathers.

What would cause this to happen? the engine was rebuilt 10000 miles ago. Never over boosted to my knowledge.

If it was mine, I would pull the head in the car since it must be removed anyway.

Sounds like a piston/ring problem, but I would not rule out the possibility of a head gasket?

If it was mine, I would pull the head in the car since it must be removed anyway.

Sounds like a piston/ring problem, but I would not rule out the possibility of a head gasket?

X2, my thoughts exactly. Phil.

I would do a leak down next

and listen to where the air comes from

I also think its rings, but you never know, when was the last time you re-torqued your heads?

overheating smokes breathers and #6 low as he found the gasket is mostlike pushed into the coolant passage , fire ring is still intact but the gasket is damaged

pull the head , youll be doing it anyway even if it is the valves
, if gasket is fine (which i highly doubt) or if valves are fine (now youll know because ou can check them or take them to a shop that can ) and if it is the rings now with head off you can drop pan and pop the piston out and take a good look , replace rings if need be or determine if the cylinder has excessive wear warranting a rebuild
if it turns out the #6 cylinder is worn and the others arent then besides just a rebuild its also time to check the injectors or replace them

my money is on the gasket