Detailing help

Chris Wh1

I just bought a used truck today, nice truck, really clean on the outside, but the interior in kinda scrungy lookin, and it has a REALLY bad smoke smell like the guy smoked 2 packs a day in the truck. Any ideas on what I can use to get the smell out? And any ideas on how to brighten up the interior?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Fabreze all the fabric surfaces. Everything, from behind the seats to under them to rugs. Windex the windows, armor-all car cleaner for everthing-seats, rugs, dash, etc... Don't use it on clear plastic unless you've heavily diluted it. For a car that's disgusting, I start with a toothbrush and just go nuts on all the plastic/vinyl surfaces. Blue Coral rug cleaner is also pretty good, if you've got a nylon brush you can use. Spend a few hours cleaning it, let everything dry and sink in, walk away from it, and then go back, see what needs to be done, and clean everything again.

Not a prof. detailer, but I've cleaned up some nasty cars-one I seriously used a gardening trowel to get all the crap out of.

I'd just get a new carpet kit and and have a new headliner put in....then take the seats and shampoo them several times....I'd also leave the windows cracked so some fresh air blows through....also see if you can get a fragrance for the a/c ducts...and keep the a/c on outside air.....

Originally posted by jy211
I'd just get a new carpet kit and and have a new headliner put in....then take the seats and shampoo them several times....I'd also leave the windows cracked so some fresh air blows through....also see if you can get a fragrance for the a/c ducts...and keep the a/c on outside air.....

There you go. The headliner usually gets ignored and that's where a lot of it is. Just get new carpet too. Get some a/c vent cleaner that you spray in the vents too. That helps with a lot of car odors. Like this:

http://www.properautocare.com/wuracheatsys.html

Smoke Odors

There is a product called Ozium sp? that works Also get a back of regular charcoal and open it up inside the cab and that should help.

Roger