Dern lackaboost

OK, that settles it.

Timing gets increased and I put 10% back into the fuel map.

That 224 cam will rev to 6500 no sweat, trust me on that one. Dad ran a 12 something in 2nd gear one day and it did not hurt it.

Timing may take care of the mph issue and we have been threatening to do the same thing on this car. Get a timing light and check the crank against the map. Bill L, it sounds we need to do the same thing as you, turn up the timing slowly and see what happens there.

Bill A those springs have not been on there long enough to be tired and as far as the leak down test goes, the pistons are all good because we have replaced two that I can think of from scorching them. We know the compression is good in the motor.

It is the backpressure that just amazes me. We will have to try a .96 housing and go from there. Anyone have a housing laying around they dont like?

Thanks

Reggie,

No if you increase the timming EGT's will drop. If your using a Wide band then make sure your fuel is good that way as well. If your at 18 try 25. I use 26 and like it.

Originally posted by lazaris
Reggie,

What about the converter? Your crossing the finish line at 6000? I assume your using a 28" tall tire with 3.50 gears if I remember correct? Thats around 10% slip. I beleive Ted A went from 128 to 134 mph with just getting his slip reduced from around 11% to around 6% on a converter change. Just something else to consider. However with that size turbo at 25psi you should have more mph reguardless. Its a 4 bolt correct? Maybe you do need a .96 but I think others have gone faster with a 4 bolt .81. What springs and or pressure are you running? Hyd Roller? Specs?

Yes. I picked up the MPH and had about the same RPM's through the traps as I did before the change at the lower MPH. No doubt it helped, but I knew my tune was good and was able to make a educated "guess" that there was something to gain from a convertor change from countless datalogs and E.T. slips, making nothing more than boost setting changes. I am running a .81 4 bolt 76 turbo with a 218/212 hydrolic roller and my motor pulls real well up to 6200 and then you can feel the power drop. The motor needs to see above 27psi to make good power with the iron heads, and doesn't really go any faster above 30psi. I am also running 26 degrees of total advance with C-16 fuel.

Reg, I know this won't give you et or mph that you are looking for but did you consider the conditions in Palmdale. You know it has some altitude and maybe the correction factor for the night you were racing might get you closer to your target without dramatic changes.
Jeff

Hey Jeff, yeah we figured with altitude correction we were running a 10.40 or so.

Even with that we are not where we should be.

Next time to the track it will be .96 housing and more timing.

Reggie,

I`d like to suggest that on your next trip to the track you make your first pass with the new housing and your present timing.Then add timing to get a handle on what changed what.

Bill

Yeah that was misleading.

It will be new housing first, see how that works and go from there.

:D

Thanks

14 inch filter.Checked the timing in the computer against a timing light from what we see they are the same.With that said we are going to add timing 2 degrees at a time this sunday at the track.Talked to John Craig this morning about a .84 exhaust housing may have that for this weekend to try.

REG

.84 Tangential? Interesting. I thought they only came in .81 and .96's Good luck. Let us know.

Lazaris
I knew you would be asking what was going on.I have been going to post for the last 4 days but have not got around to it.

Ok the .84 hosing did not arrive in time and John is having some problems with it. That said we went to the track spent 8 hours there and got 2 runs in.The first run we added 2 degrees of timing to bring it up to a total of 22 degrees.The car went 10.67 at 130 MPH,60 ft was a rotten 1.74.The next run we added 2 more degrees of timing to bring it up to 24 degrees. The car went 10.74 at 129 MPH,60ft a rotten1.75. Both runs were at about 28 psi.Did the extra timing help? maybe a little but not much.:confused:

The last thing I can think of is to try a Speed Pro unit.My buddy Jeff Rand has volunteered to let me try his unit on the car to see if it makes a difference.We are going to do this New Years Eve at Palmdale Raceway( LACR).They are having what they call the Hangover Nationals.If this does not work then its time to look in to the motor. I will post the results of the fast uint on New Years day,I sure hope it works.

REG

Originally posted by Bill Lankford
Reggie,

I`d like to suggest that on your next trip to the track you make your first pass with the new housing and your present timing.Then add timing to get a handle on what changed what.

Bill

RIP BILL:(

Wow I have not even looked at this thread for a long time.
Here is the latest.

We changed the housing to a .96 PTE and went to a 3.5 ID downpipe. That has solved any backpressure problems we had.

After 2 years of screwing around with converters, turbos and now a FAST unit, we have an intake manifold with 3 leaks in the runners.

That is why our speed will not increase, its blowing out the intake runners instead of going into the cylinders.

We had the car on a dyno about 3 weeks ago. It made 600 HP and 680 ft lbs torque at only 18 psi. The strange thing was the boost gauge indicated 25 psi or more.

Once we get the manifold back, we will be back at the dyno to verify some results.