Dent in center, front of hood

Dan Buick Man

Buick lover
Anyone know of a way to get rid of the infamous dent in the center, front part of the hood? Short of a process that involves repainting?

Thanks

It's double walled, so, there isn't an effective way. Even with body work and paint, it is a tough line to get right (it's a very sutle shape)

Just a note here. After the dent is fixed. To keep it from happening again. Keep a little WD-40 (or an equivalent) sprayed onto latch asemblly and hinges. Make shure the spring is in good shape also. As soon as I got my car, I oiled the latch and replaced the spring because it was bent. I haven't had it stick sence. Just oiling the latch helped alot.

there was someone on the board that tried a dent removal guy. said it looks a lot better but still not 100 percent. the dent guy said its just a bitch of a spot to work on.:mad: :D

I had mine done with paintless dent removal (PDR). Yes it looks much better but not perfect and yes it's a bad spot to work. A small wave is normal and I really would rather not have bondo in that area either. One good slam and you could end up with worse than you started. I only put my palm on the edge of the hood, not the top anymore, when closing.

Just a thought, You mention a fear of bondo cracking. How would good old fashion lead work on this area? I know it would require a repaint, but is it an option if the car is getting painted anyway?
I usually give my hood a good shove from about a foot up and let it close on it's own without pushing on it.

Lead is not the answer. It will make your hood heavier and thats the last thing you need to do in that area. The new stiles of plastic fillers (if done right) will work just fine in that area, and they are not as heavy. I restore cars and do customs for a living. I have been taught by one of the most formost person in lead working (Bill Cushenbery). The best way to prevent the problem from happening after you get the dents fixed. Is to replace the spring with a new one (If its bent)and keep the hinges and latch oiled.

We had ours removed with the dent removal technique and you can't tell it had a dent. If the person you use for this is good they should be able to make it look good, depends on how deep the dent is.

I do the same as "Sleeper-6" does, giving the hood a good shove from about a foot up and letting it close on it's own, without pushing on it.

Seems to work. :D

Anyone else wish to share more on this? :cool:

I do the same as "Sleeper-6" does, giving the hood a good shove from about a foot up and letting it close on it's own, without pushing on it.

Seems to work. :D

Anyone else wish to share more on this? :cool:

X3. Works everytime.