Deleting black A/C tin cover on the firewall?

GSX-PKV

I have my motor out and was detailing the engine compartment. I removed the tall curved black tin plate or cover that is on the firewall by the A/C on the passenger side. It’s the one that the wide plastic wire loom attaches to. Mine was chipped from taking out plugs, etc, so I took it out to paint it and that thought came to my mind that maybe that piece is not really necessary. The plastic under there actually looks pretty good. I have GN1 heads and valve covers and the extra 1/2” of space I could gain could be of value.

Anyway, my question is has anyone removed that to get more room to access #6 cylinder? Are there any downsides to removing that plate? I still want working A/C but can't see how removing that could adversly affect that. Thanks for any feedback! Paul

You can leave it out like i did when i installed my GN1s. But be very careful not to poke a hole through the fiberglass box since you no longer have the metal covering to protect that area. I busted a small hole by accident when removing my valve cover. Then eventually removed the whole ac with a hammer.:(

RE: "You can leave it out like i did when i installed my GN1s"

When you leave it out, do you gain a noticable amount of space? With GN1's and valve covers, that valve cover bolt in the lower rear is tight!

Thanks for the info! Paul

I had to remove mine to get any clearance between my tall TA valve covers and this area.

Scott