Defective Walbro??

TurboBuickSix

I just put the pump and hotwire kit in from racetronix.Went to start the car after givi giving the key a few on and offs before actually trying it as an attempt to purge the air.When I tried to start the motor it would only run for a few seconds then die.I had about 5 gal of fuel in the tank so decided to go get 5 more for good measure.Still only runs for a second,check fuel pressure,while trying to put on line there is a little leftover pressure in the line that comes out.I also just did the injectors so this fuel was not there from the old pump.No fuel pressure whatsoever.I can hear the pump running.At first(when it did make a little pressure) it seemed to be running slower now it seems to sound as if it is going fast,like maybe it can prime itself to start?? I am dropping the tank back down tomorrow because nothing seems to help.Right at the tank it sounds "bubbly"when running.I will make sure the polarity is not wrong but I am 100 percent sure it is'nt(it made some pressure and the car started for a few seconds).I checked for a pinched line also and the moved freely on the tanks top side.Anyone ever get a bad pump out of the box?? This sucks now I can't even pump all that gas back out.

hey not sure if this helps
but I had a bad pump
but not from the box

I had it in the car for about 5 months and every once in awhile the car would stall out, until we finally found out it was the pump
they have 1 year warranties on them so it should be able to be exchanged for you very easily

hope this can help, and trust me at least your in a better position then I was, I had to tow my car cause it wouldnt start anymore

Carl

Ten to one he reused the pulsator/isolator dealey.

When you installed the new walbro, did you reuse the goofy little metal/plastic boxy thing that goes between the pump and the metal line? If you did, rip that mutha' outta there, cuz there's your problem.

The problem with reusing the pulsator (i think that's what it's called) is that the new pump is like 3/8" shorter than the stock pump. When you put this piece back on the new pump, it isn't quite long enough to connect the pump with the metal line- it will look like it's just long enough, but it won't fit correctly. Because it it isn't on right, fuel doesn't quite make it to the metal line the way it's supposed to.

Solution: replace the boxy little thing with a straight piece of rubber line (the kit should have come with a couple inches of fuel line and a few hose clamps), stick the thing back together, and you'll be good to go.

The function of that little dealey is to help dampen the pulses from the fuel pump, to make it a bit quieter. Even with the fuel hose replacing it though, the pump still isn't very loud anyway though, so don't even worry about it. Good luck!

Re: Ten to one he reused the pulsator/isolator dealey.

Originally posted by Steve D.
When you installed the new walbro, did you reuse the goofy little metal/plastic boxy thing that goes between the pump and the metal line? If you did, rip that mutha' outta there, cuz there's your problem.

The problem with reusing the pulsator (i think that's what it's called) is that the new pump is like 3/8" shorter than the stock pump. When you put this piece back on the new pump, it isn't quite long enough to connect the pump with the metal line- it will look like it's just long enough, but it won't fit correctly. Because it it isn't on right, fuel doesn't quite make it to the metal line the way it's supposed to.

Solution: replace the boxy little thing with a straight piece of rubber line (the kit should have come with a couple inches of fuel line and a few hose clamps), stick the thing back together, and you'll be good to go.

The function of that little dealey is to help dampen the pulses from the fuel pump, to make it a bit quieter. Even with the fuel hose replacing it though, the pump still isn't very loud anyway though, so don't even worry about it. Good luck!

Someone had previously replaced the stocker with a pep boys replacement and they took the pulsator out then.All that is there now is the line.I'm still baffled,today it will come out for inspection.