Decoding some #'s on my GN

GNX Jerry

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what a # painted to the right of the radiator top/cover means. There is a "40" painted in white , on the driver
side on the plating (not sure what to call this part) piece just next to the top of the radiator cover area. About 1 1/2 " tall. (Seen when hood is open,)
Also, can someone smarter than me advise on how to decode when your GN was built. I know mine was made in 3/87 but what tells the actual build day?

87 GN with real GNX gauges
moonroof and twilight sentinel
15,500 original miles, owned for 16 yrs

Pull the drivers side door panel off and the build sheet will be hiding there. That should give you the exact day it was built.

Sounds like the "40" is the temperature that the anti-freeze was tested to. It is common practice for line techs to do that. The build date on the cowl tag will only tell you the week and not the exact day. The way our cars were assembled meant that I could take more than a week for the body to arrive at Pontiac from Flint and than from the 3 floor storage to the main floor final assembly. The trim build sheet in the drivers door is the best as far as narrowing down the day. There are several other build dates on the car but since the interior trim was some of the last pieces installed this would be the most accurate date.