Datalogger confusion!!!!

Z9's

OK I have a FAST data logger and am totally confused on the installation. I understand the rs232 plug and the 4 wires, what loses me is how the hell do I connect to my laptop and still maintain power to the datalogger (you must have the rs232 plug still in the datalogger with the power /ground /trigger/arm wires ) any help would be highly appreciated! TIA

Originally posted by Z9's
OK I have a FAST data logger and am totally confused on the installation. I understand the rs232 plug and the 4 wires, what loses me is how the hell do I connect to my laptop and still maintain power to the datalogger (you must have the rs232 plug still in the datalogger with the power /ground /trigger/arm wires ) any help would be highly appreciated! TIA

It sounds like your missing a cable. You should have a comunication cable. You do not unplug the rs232 to down load your data. You unplug your ECM from the data logger and you should have a pig tail communication cable to plug back into the Data Logger. The pig tail will plug into the black plug that went to the ECM and allow you to attach the same comunication cable you use to program the ECM to the Data Logger.

I hope that makes sence.

I have the other cable but it has female ends on both ends. Do I just plug my original communication cable into the male end off the rs232 plug with the four wires ? Still confused but getting closer . Thanks Nasty Gn

I have the other cable but it has female ends on both ends. Do I just plug my original communication cable into the male end off the rs232 plug with the four wires ? Still confused but getting closer . Thanks Nasty Gn

Yes you unplug the (usualy black) connector off the data logger and plug the pig tale in to it and then plug the other end into the cable you use with your lap top and ECM.

Take Care

Thanks ! but then what is the second cable (both female ends)used for?:)

One of the cables are for comunication between your ECM and the data logger and the other is for comunication between your data logger and your lap top. You can't use the same cable to do both. You must switch them depending on if your recording from the ECM or down loading information from the data logger to your lap top.

I would assume you bought this used? Why I say that is I would have guessed the dealer would have told you all this.

Also did you receive a manual with the data logger? You must also use the Windows base software with the data logger. It will not work with the Dos software.

Good Luck

I did get this unit used but never used,lol .I take it I use the female/female to plug into the pigtail on the datalogger and then to the fast ecm. Then I disconnect the female/female from the ecm and datalogger and connect the communication cable that came with the fast to connect to the pigtail on the datalogger .Hey this sounds right !!!! Thanks Nasty;)