Dash lights no workey

Sleeper-6

Hey there, has anyone had this happen to them? I just picked the car up Monday, and the only suprise I found on my 500 mile test drive home is that the dash light's don't work. :eek: Of course I figure this out at 6pm, still 400 miles from home. Anyways, I think I have a short somewhere in my dash light circut. I've changed the fuse but it blows about 1 sec after I turn the lights on. I'm hoping for just a pinched wire in the dash somewhere. Are there any known trouble spots that I can check first before I go tracing every wire in the circut? Thanks.

Console shift light wires and aftermarket guage splices would be good start points. :)

Actually on most GM vehicles, the marker lights outside and the dash lights are on the same circuit. Turn on your parking lights and see if they work. If so then look into the dash light dimmer switch. These have gone bad in the past. If the park lights do not come on then look at the fuse that operates this circuit. Reaplce it and see if that works. If the fuse keeps blowing then you have a short somewhere. Start with any after market gauges and the like. Also chech where the ash tray would be as this is a common area for shorts too. Let me know what you find.

Thanks Guys, I did start with the dimmer switch. It seems that the power comes from the talilight circut, passes through the dimmer and then goes BACK to the fuse panel, through the 5 amp fuse and on to the dash, console, ect. So far I have checked the dimmer with an ohm meter and it seems to be working as it should. First thing idid was disconnect all the power feeds going to the aftermarket gauges and that diddn't do it. So next is the console and then on to the dash harnes.

I am having the same problem Sleeper-6. I have checked the console but it isn't that light. If you find anything else let me know! I'm not sure which direction to head next. Thanks.

:D All Better! I worked a little out of order, first I pulled the dash assembley, then the console with no luck. Next, out came the Climate controll stuff, found a broken bulb in there that I replaced while I had it out. FInally I pulled the radio and that did it. I'm not too shure what was rubbing, I assume some wire was hitting the edge of the supporting metal behind the radio (kind of sharp back there) and rubbed through . I wrapped the harness in electrical tape and put everything back together, So far so good. Hopefully the problem is solved.