Dangerous driver's side engine oil fill tube...

NCC1701

Anyone have any idea how to secure this thing better?

Had an unpleasant event yesterday after work. I was stopped at a light ready to turn. When I start to turn, the steering wheel doesn't want to turn. As I really don't want to rearrange the front end of my car, I yank the crap out of the steering wheel. I here something make a loud pop under the hood. I pull over immediately to see what is going on. As soon as I pop the hood, I see the engine oil fill tube had fallen out of the valve cover and was kinda wedged between the drivers side header and the steering linkage runnning beside it. After i find an old towel in my trunk, I pulled it out. The tube is okay, but the oil fill cap melted all along the side that was resting on the header.

Thanks In Advance

Get a good o-ring/donut for the bottom of it. Just bend the tangs on the bottom of the fill tube and work with it until it goes on very snug. Should be fine going forward.

When I bought my GN in 1990 it had 25,000 miles on it. My first outing in the car was just a few miles and that fill tube took a hike.

I noticed it missing just after returning home so I back tracked my route and found the tube...flattened roadkill. :rolleyes: I threw a breather on there and that was that.