Damn...ripped off again

GNX243

Just got the fall 2009 Buick magazine sent out by GM to owners to encourage them to purchase a new car.

Pages 16 & 17, Illuminating Legacy, is a photo-essay on headlight designs from a 1936 Special, 1905 Model C, 1925 Master Six, 1942 Special, 1953 Skylark to a 1987 GNX (see below scan). The description under the GNX is "Aside from their bold style, the 1987 GNX headlamps were available in a tungsten halogen design along with a Twilight Sentinel feature, which automatically turned the lamps on and off based on ambient lighting conditions." I cannot find the twilight feature in my car. Being the second owner, perhaps the former owner removed it but I doubt that. I just think that it was left off during construction/reconstruction. First, Pontiac wheel hubs. Now missing equipment. I may ask the editor (editor@mybuickmagazine.com) for a refund.

Attachments

• GNXlights.jpg
    GNXlights.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,305
Man

I do not remember any gnx's having twilight sentinel. In 1987 it was more rare than earlier years...we need rick hunt or dennis kirban to chime in on this.

Pete,
I posted this tongue-in-cheek to show that even the folks at GM aren't always sure of their facts. However, I was thinking of writing back to them (editor/GM advisor) and to do so I wanted to mention that they were confusing the GNX with the GN and that the twilight option was available on GN. However, I don't know the years available (or code) for the option. Do you know so I can respond accurately?
Thanks,
Rich

1982 was the first year for Twilight Sentinel on the Regal. I've never seen it on any 82 Grand Nationals but I have seen it on a few of these early style dashes. Nothing really special about the option anyway. Buick just grabbed some bits and pieces off of other Buick models and adapted them to the Regals. If you're thinking of adding that option double check that you have the correct connectors on your existing wire harness as Buick did have a distinct wire harness for TS. As I understand it cars with Factory Theft Alarm(standard on the GNX) should have those connectors on their harness.

Pete,
I posted this tongue-in-cheek to show that even the folks at GM aren't always sure of their facts. However, I was thinking of writing back to them (editor/GM advisor) and to do so I wanted to mention that they were confusing the GNX with the GN and that the twilight option was available on GN. However, I don't know the years available (or code) for the option. Do you know so I can respond accurately?
Thanks,
Rich

Rich,
You did not find that secret switch behind the glove box....:wink:

Another rip off

Behind the glove box!!!! Damn, that's yet another thing on which I was ripped off...my car didn't come with a glove box. All they provided was a lousy "Instrument panel storage compartment" (GM's description) :smile:

Seriously does anyone know how long and whether the sentinel option was offered? (82-87 GN's?). I want to write back to the editor & his GM advisor.

My Dad had an 87 GN that had the sentinel option. There was a round sensor in the middle of the dash and a thumb wheel next to the dimmer switch thumb wheel. His GN was fully loaded came with a grey trunk kit, ASC sun roof, grey pin stripe, concert sound etc.

I had an '85 T-Type with the Twilight Sentinel option. It worked okay, until you went through a highly lit area, like downtown, then the headlights would turn off because the sensor thought there was enough daylight to turn the lights off.

GNX243, could you post what they say about the 25 Master Buick lights? I have one and would be interested in seeing that. thanks, Leon

Why GM didn't kill Buick

In response to garnetkid, see below pix. I did write to the editor about the inaccurate info concerning the sentinel feature and advising that they could confirm facts thru turbobuick.com, but he did not reply.

Fun fact for reading this thread:
This month the BCA confirmed my suspicion as to why Buick was not killed along with Pontiac and others.
Buick Domestic Production/China Production
2004 143,295/ 252,053
2005 111,947/ 243,501
2006 135,243/ 304,225
2007 125,893/ 332,115
2008 116,086/ 280,102
2009 not listed/ 49,346 as of 3/31/09

Attachments

• Buick25.jpg
    Buick25.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 588
Just got the fall 2009 Buick magazine sent out by GM to owners to encourage them to purchase a new car.

Pages 16 & 17, Illuminating Legacy, is a photo-essay on headlight designs from a 1936 Special, 1905 Model C, 1925 Master Six, 1942 Special, 1953 Skylark to a 1987 GNX (see below scan). The description under the GNX is "Aside from their bold style, the 1987 GNX headlamps were available in a tungsten halogen design along with a Twilight Sentinel feature, which automatically turned the lamps on and off based on ambient lighting conditions." I cannot find the twilight feature in my car. Being the second owner, perhaps the former owner removed it but I doubt that. I just think that it was left off during construction/reconstruction. First, Pontiac wheel hubs. Now missing equipment. I may ask the editor (editor@mybuickmagazine.com) for a refund.

If your looking for the connection is right behind the glove box on the left side all taped in black you just have to look for it..... is tangle with the rest of the wires all GN, GNX, or any other buick regal have it. it's pre wire if you remove your instrument bezel you will see a empty connection for the sentinel and the eye were goes on top of your dash you also have to look for that wire as well good luck