Dale Cherry F.A.S.T tuning experience

Dave King

I have a 97 Mustang Cobra with a 4.6 4 valve Mod Motor engine (I know I know) and I come to this board quite a bit because its by far the best resource for FAST tech info. I have a sequential FAST system with the FAST EDIS and a MSD box. My Cobra has been a been to a best of 8.61@161 mph at 2970 pounds. I'm running a Procharger F2M that was putting out about 33 psi at 8400 rpms.
I was running an air to air intercooler with 96 pound injectors last year. The air to air core was a bit small for the power and flow of the blower and I was seeing air temps of around 230 degrees through the traps.

Over the winter I installed a custom air to water intercooler and switched to 160 pound injectors. I've heard a lot about Dale Cherry from Grand National guys, and a good friend of mine who has a twin turbo 1200 hp Mustang Cobra. Knowing that the 160 pound injectors would a little tricky I went over Dales shop (Berrel Auto) in Willow Grove PA. Its near Philly and about 50 minutes East of Maple Grove Raceway.

Many of you seen my post about the injector wiring, thanks to everyone that helped.

So we get to the Dyno and the car instantly responded with about 4 pounds of boost increase through out the RPM band.
My air temps on the dyno were in the mid 30 to low 40 degree range. Power jumped up from a previous best of 870 rwhp to 960 rwhp. We've picked up about 60 rwhp in the entire rpm range. The best part is that we didnt even come close to taping it out because I was fitting the tubes blowing off all day. I saw 30 psi around 7500 rpms and I was taking it as high as 8600. My best guess is that its making about 38 psi. I think theres 1000 hp at the tires in it.

Dale was able to get the drivibility on the 160's in with just a few strokes, and the 160's are very very livable. He was able to get it dialed in really good.

My duty cycle went from 120-130% range using the 96's to 65% with the 160's. Dale said that we are throwing enough fuel at it to support 1600 hp, and feels that the blower is taking 400 hp to turn.

For those that are on the East Coast and looking for a good FAST tuneup I highly recommend Dale. He's very professional and extremely good. I've been around many good tuners such as Job Spetter, Mike Wesley, and Jim Larocca, and Dale is up there with anyone. It was really good having my car on the dyno and having confidence in the tuner.

Dale also was helping me with an injector leak I had, and helping me keep the tubes from popping off. The money was well worth it and again I highly recommend him to anyone thats in area. I drove 6 hours from Pittsburgh to get to him.

Dales also available to fly any where in the country for the people that can't travel to him.

Now I have to make some tabs and Heim Joints to secure my tubes, change gears, and I'm off to the track. I hoping for real low 8's.

I thought I'd share my experience with you GN guys because all of us FAST users can learn from each other.

yup Dale is one of the best. He has worked magic on many cars in our area.. And outside our area:)

How does someone contact Dale Cherry to set up a tuning session.
Phone Number or wesite info would be good.

Originally posted by 96Z28SS
How does someone contact Dale Cherry to set up a tuning session.
Phone Number or wesite info would be good.

Dale Cherry
Berrel Auto
1836 York Rd
Abington PA 19001
215-659-9907

Take PA turnpike
45 Minutes east past Reading Exit
Exit 343 Willow Grove Exit
Take PA Turnpike to Exit 343
Take 611 South for about 3 miles
Turns into York Rd
On right hand side.