Cylinder scoring?

97rebello

IMG_2494.PNG
IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2496.PNG
IMG_2495.PNG
Just dropped the pan to take a peek and replace base pan gasket. Noticed some scoring and skirt wear. Wondering if its normal wear or should i think of pulling this motor and bringing it to the machine shop. Found some debis in the pickup also.

Can't tell much from those pics......
Take a look at the brgs, check crank end play.

I'm not sure what's on the oil screen, it almost looks like debris from a previous failure that was hiding under the support bar and didn't get cleaned off. The cylinders don't look scary based on the pics you posted, it does appear that the skirt coating is coming off the pistons. How many miles are on this engine?

Neal

Not sure of mileage, motor work was done before i bought it. Im going to play it safe and tear it down. Im planning on keeping it so id rather know what i got in confidence. I cleaned the pickup and it was a bunch of silicone from the sloppy base pan install before me. Thanks for the insight!

No way u got "black death" tear that thing apart or it will do it on its own

That's nonsense. Where did you come up with that idea?

The Speed Pro pistons that appear to be in the engine come with coated skirts. The coating will wear off over time depending on use.

Neal

Last edited:
If you're wondering about overall ring seal wouldn't your vacuum gauge, compression test, leakdown give you a better answer? looks like you have some nice parts down there.

^^^^ Why tear it down if you dont need to?
There are many ways to check to make sure the motor is ok, without tearing into everything.

This is true, im going to pull it to clean everything and reseal all orings gaskets. While its out ill perform a leak down on each cylinder and take it from there. When i bought the car it had a horrible tune and some detonation so just trying to be a little proactive. But to your point a leakdown is a tell all. Thanks again.

[QUO TE="750H.P.V6, post: 3717732, member: 3170"]That's nonsense. Where did you come up with that idea?

The Speed Pro pistons that appear to be in the engine come with coated skirts. The coating will wear off over time depending on use.

Neal[/QUOTE]
Well
That's nonsense. Where did you come up with that idea?

Neal
Well it still looks to be a bit tight and maybe a problem with the rings from the picks provided lotta scoring on the walls thats one of the fastest way s to burn up the pistons so yeah id still tear it apart ?? O wait is that forethought?

The pics are blurry and don't show a lot of scoring from what I see. If the OP decides to tear the engine down that's fine. Prior to that I'd ask he post better photos. Along that same line I'd suggest pulling a couple of rod caps and a main cap to look at the bearings and do a leak down then post the results. Otherwise everyone is just speculating.

Neal

The pics are blurry and don't show a lot of scoring from what I see. If the OP decides to tear the engine down that's fine. Prior to that I'd ask he post better photos. Along that same line I'd suggest pulling a couple of rod caps and a main cap to look at the bearings and do a leak down then post the results. Otherwise everyone is just speculating.

Neal

Is it safe to say, that pulling the center caps would be enough to give a good idea of bearing condition in a motor that you do not suspect a problem to begin with? Any particular rod(s) to check?

Is it safe to say, that pulling the center caps would be enough to give a good idea of bearing condition in a motor that you do not suspect a problem to begin with? Any particular rod(s) to check?

Checking the center main bearings should give you a good indication of their condition. I'd probably check the # 5 and # 6 rod bearings since they are pretty easy to get at with the motor in the car.

Neal