Cylinder ridges - what to do...?

dhjenkins

At the top of each cylinder is a small ridge about 1/2" or so down from the top (head). The ridges don't go all the way around the wall - they can really only be felt on about 1/3rd of the wall, mainly toward the outside of the block.

I know the BEST thing would be to rebore .20 over and get brand new pistons, but I'd rather spend the money on something else if I can.

How much compression would I lose by honing it, and could I make any of that up with thicker oil and different ring gapping?

TIA

Hey........where ya been hidin? When I first rebuilt my motor at 180K, I just honed the cylinders with a dingleberry hone and re-installed the original pistons. Don't go crazy. Well, if you're looking to go 10s it might be an issue but probably not. If 11s is OK, you won't have any problems. ;)

Believe it or not, I've actually been working my butt off. I got a new job in a different division of the company so I actually work instead of push papers around; I have to say, I tried the desk job thing, and I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

The motor's at the machinist's right now getting billet mains and a girdle put in, and the owner WANTS to go 10's - it'll probably never see a track, though - it'll just eat alot of rice :p

The main reason I'm leaning away from a re-bore is the fact that the cylinders are damn near perfect - not a single scratch in any of them, and I don't want to weaken the block any more than I have to. I know 20 thousanths isn't much, but every little bit helps.

I'm guessing that the ridge lines up perfectly with the top ring, so if i gave the second ring a little 'oomph' in the fit department, would that possibly make up for losing a thousanth or two off the wall?

They all have a slight ridge at the top. I really wouldn't worry about it. Will be fine. Save the money. Anyway, if it goes 10s, it's just gonna break anyway. ;)