Custom Header Question

ek02

Since most Stage II cars use custom headers, I thought this would be the best place to ask this question. Can heavy gauge mild steel tubing be used for headers with a turbo? I know stainless is used for most turbo builds. Just wondering if anyone has tried mild steel using oxy-acetelyne to weld it. Would it work if coated? This would be for a blow through setup.

Yes, mild steel will work fine. Use 16 gauge minimum. Coating will help them live longer, but you have to get a coating that is specifically for high heat. The standard shiny ceramicoat is not enough.

If you can oxy-acetelyne weld the headers that will be even better than tig. I assume that if you are looking at mild steel and o/a welding you don't have access to a tig. If you do, you can do 304 stainless for the same price or less than the cost of mild steel plus coating.

I don't have a Tig, just a mig, stick, and o/a. I have built many sets of custom headers using mild steel with mig or stick to weld the tubing to the flanges, and o/a for the tubing, but they were all for N/A engines. I had always heard that stainless had to be used for a turbo engine. I considered one of Eastwoods Tigs since the price is not too bad. I have their Mig with the spool gun for aluminum and it works OK once you figure out the heat and wire feed. The chart on the unit suggests way too much heat. Thanks for your knowledge. You do some beautiful work from what I have seen on this forum.

Thanks for the compliment. If you can o/a weld, go for mild steel with coating. They won't last forever, but you'll get a few years of good service out of them.. They will be less prone to cracking versus stainless also.

i use the mild steel from columbia mandrel bending. good prices, good kits, and has held up okay for my stuff.

Get V-bands from ebay and give em a quicky lathe turn to true up and you will be in buisness!

I may have a set of flanges left also if you need them. If I don't, I can have more sets made.

I use bends and V-bands from SPD. 16 gauge mild steel and then had everything coated by Nitroplate in Nashville TN. I like the parts from SPD better than Columbia river. The v-bands are higher quality and the bends aren't as thin in the bended portion as Columbia river.

Racepartssolutions also has nice v-bands.

I haven't had any issues with my hot side. All TIG welded.

If you're considering a tig, I'm a fan of my new thermal arc 186. Much smoother operating so far over a Syncrowave 180sd. I'm just a beginner, but learning has just become easier.

Just thinking about it. My big problem is how to fit a turbo in the space available. I have another block and some 9-1 pistons that would work well.