Custom Cold Air Intake

BeanSS

SlickSquid
Hey anybody out there running a custom cold air intake?

Is it a waste of time? Im looking at getting a PVC pipe on it or maybe I could bug the guys from Clear Image Auto to make a carbon fiber one? (thinking that may help with keeping the air cooler? ) I know it would weigh less anyway ha.

I know people change out the filter all the time but Im wondering is there a way to improve the "overall" intake?

I know when I had my 96 Caprice there is a mod call the "Swiss Cheese" mod where we'd drill holes into the airbox....we also used a pvc pipe as a cheap cold air intake.

Heat is our biggest enemy (Word to A.J.! ) So im trying to figure out a way to get the heat down besides adding the air louvers to the fenders (those look hard as hell by the way!! ) Also figured we could add a bigger fan like them joints from a Lincoln Mark 8. I know they move some air which should help with the heat.

Go to autozone and get one of those expendable tubes for $20 and put your air filter behind the headlight. That`s how I have mine anyway.

I got the cheap spectre brand stuff from autozone, (the stuff you piece together), cheap, effective and looks good also

yep

Attachments

• BILLY T 018.jpg
    BILLY T 018.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 259
Nice Brett, did you buy that or make it? Here is my cheapo-depot set up... by the time the air gets to the carb, its cold anyway:biggrin:

1000927.jpg

1000928f.jpg

It was custom made at the fab shop that did my minitub.

Thats actually a friend of mines in the pic but mine is essentually the same except has an air box with a removable filter. His is straight thru since it's a race car.

When I did mine, I didnt worry a lot about the cold air part. As long as you get a good filter, and move it to the side of the core support not behind the rad you are good enough. On most new cars the engines are sealed up good, so you gain something. But on these G bodies there is so much open space I dont think you gain a hole lot getting out of the engine bay.

Plus there isnt much space for "cold" air intake stuff. I drive on gravel every now and then, and Id rather keep my filter dry and clean then that 5 degrees. On a track car its different though.

At 60 MPH, there has to be a TON of air movin through the engine bay, you stick your hand out the window and theres a lot of wind. Theres a much bigger area to catch air in the engine bay. Not to mention when the hood is open, I dont feel much air temp difference between infront of the core support than right behind it.

Food for thought!

Would you mind taking some more detailed pics for us Brett. It would be very helpfull for us. Thanks.

Would you mind taking some more detailed pics for us Brett. It would be very helpfull for us. Thanks.
Charlie I just took everything out a couple days ago to send it out to powdercoat. When I get everything back to together I will shoot some detailed pics.

Cool Brett, can`t wait to see it. Well I went to AZ, Advanced, Oreilly, CarQ... looking for this damn seal that goes between the carb and the hat... no one has it:mad: so I was walking around AZ all POed and decided to get this bigger Spectre air filter and try it out... couldn't afford $60+ for a damn K&N, so Ill give this a shot tomorrow.

I took the charcoal canister out the other night, is it safe to plug off the line to the tank?

1000935iv.jpg

1000938n.jpg

Anyone know where to get one of these?
1000933.jpg

My temp fix:biggrin:
1000934jp.jpg

Charlie I just took everything out a couple days ago to send it out to powdercoat. When I get everything back to together I will shoot some detailed pics.

Cool Brett. Take pics as you put it back together and it will help me figure out how I'm going to do mine.:) I have a rough idea but I'd like to see someones elses design so I can get a better idea.:cool:

The gasket you're looking for is easy to find Jase. I've got several here myself. See if AZ will let you go through their miscellaneous gasket section to find it. It's a standard gasket that most parts stores keep in stock.

The gasket you're looking for is easy to find Jase. I've got several here myself. See if AZ will let you go through their miscellaneous gasket section to find it. It's a standard gasket that most parts stores keep in stock.

You would think so, but it is Flint after all... ill head to one of the stores in the suburbs tomorrow and look around. It only took 10mins to explain what the damn thing was to the guy there... last time it took 20min to explain a brake filter to them, one of the guys on the phone got sick of hearing it, set the phone down and went and got it for me as I was still explaining it to the other guy lmao... the idiots they hire now days:rolleyes:

If you can't find it PM me and I'll see about getting you a number from work Jase. I'm off tomorrow but I can check Friday for you.

If you can't find it PM me and I'll see about getting you a number from work Jase. I'm off tomorrow but I can check Friday for you.

really though is it safe to unplug the hose in the canister that goes to the gas tank? Im thinking of running a spectre filter.