Currie 9 inch rear ?

WeSS

I gotz 2 sub woofers
Anyone ever have a currie 9 inch rear housing and 31 spline axles in their g body? I had the fluid changed at a place called gearworks who did the rearend in my car. They wanted to drill a hole and install a drain plug right in the middle of the housing behind the sway bar. Ended up not doing it because the housing had some hard steel liner. Just drilled a hole in the rear cover area and used air to blow the rest out via fill hole by the pinion then out the hole drilled towards the bottom of the rear cover area. He had a couple more 9 inch housings looked almost like mine but were very thin and could drill a hole in the bottom of the housing with ease but mine was a different story. Anyone have any experience with this?

Currie

You could probably contact Currie directly. They had a trailer set up at Indy at the Hot Rod Power Tour last week.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 209
I had a Currie with 35 splines, unfortunately it has been so long I don't remember. I thought mine had a drain in it though.

I have a 9" moser in one of mine, my drain comes off the bottom of the housing-I don't think 9" fords have any cover plates - the third is removed from the front of the housing, gms have a rear cover.

rear

I have a 9" moser in one of mine, my drain comes off the bottom of the housing-I don't think 9" fords have any cover plates - the third is removed from the front of the housing, gms have a rear cover.

I meant to say where the cover would be bolted on on a gm rear but the ford 9 is solid not removable. Now it's leaking since they drilled the partial hole and then the hole in the back plate. I'm taking it back tomorrow. Good size amount of gear oil on my driveway now.

i think they might have to redrill it, tap it and put a socket head plug in there with thread sealer.

Sorry for the quick highjack but are you using the stock sway bar w/ the currie rear? I'm about to purchase one myself.

rear end

Took it back today and found out the owner walked away to talk to another customer and left the job to be finished by a shop worker. He filled the rear end with gear lube and forgot to put the fill plug back in. No wonder when I got home I had this puddle of rear gear lube on my driveway. This was after I drove home which is only about a mile and a half. After I parked it I noticed this puddle.

Attachments

• SAM_0445.jpg
    SAM_0445.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 107
Don't feel bad we drove around the block in a turbo mustang with no fluid in the rear end...
It still went low 9s like 12 years ago. (with rear end fluid of course)