Cruise Control not working after electric Speedometer installed

tonysmach

I followed the instructions on the "GNX inspired dash" thread and built a harness with Casper's VSS sender, dead end sender and tach module. The cruise light does not come on and I get a malfunction code 24 on the Scanmaster. 24 is VSS sender bad. Any suggestions on where to look first? I already checked the fuse and it is good.

Ever get your issue worked out? Just did the same install on my car and now my cruise does not work (worked right before install). No code on my scanmaster though. Think I've checked the vacuum lines and the switch on the brake pedal looks to be untouched.

Thanks,
Matt

No. I did the install last winter and my cruise still does not work. I dicounted the stock VSS sender (the green box) and still nothing. It worked before I installed the GNX dash. I wish someone would chime in with some thoughts on what the problem could be.

I'm going to keep looking for the problem...i have an email into the folks at casper's. I'm wired just like their instructions: http://www.installationinstructions.com/102046.pdf and I've got the vss right on the transmission (I've posted in another, very helpful, thread titled 'bouncing VDO speedometer'. Everything (except cruise) is functioning great. Did your cruise work before your installation? I would find it odd if more than one person were having the same issue following this install, especially if it worked fine beforehand. Let me know and I'll keep you posted.
Matt

Yes, I followed the instructions to the T. Cruise was working prior to install. My engine is out of car so not a priority now but I am definately interested in why it does not work. If you get yours fixed, please post the fix here. Thanks.
Tony

Hey guys been sick so haven't been on line sorry I didn't answer pms it will be Monday before I'm back to a pc you may want to go to my web site instead of the gnx inspired thread it has more in to on it . Don't have link on my cell but Google whatwazithinking gnx and it will take you to my web site . Next week when I'm back I can help more .

I joined the "No Cruise Club" today as well?? Followed the instructions but no cruise. "Brake" "Volts" "SES" work but no cruise. I did measure 12.78 volt coming off the yellow wire to the cruise feed from the VSS? Ideas????

Does everyone who switches to an electric speedo have this issue or just some of you? I'm getting ready to install an electric one in mine is why I ask.

Guys,
I used an old speedo head, and used the stock VSS sensor....Basically it only spins, and the optical pickup reads from it...I used a VDO Vision speedo, and it will adjust to any pulse readout from the VSS...
Cruise work fine, still reads from the orig sender, and buffer...

Guys,
I used an old speedo head, and used the stock VSS sensor....Basically it only spins, and the optical pickup reads from it...I used a VDO Vision speedo, and it will adjust to any pulse readout from the VSS...
Cruise work fine, still reads from the orig sender, and buffer...

So is the VDO Vision speedo an electronic speedo?

437-153 VDO Vision ....120mph 3 3/8"
Electronic speedo, very easy to adjust for Pulse input from various VSS senders

Tach 333-155 VDO Vision..3 3/8"
needs Caspers tach module 102007.....$30 It runs off white tach wire in the tach harness..to orig led tach

I have not got around to seeing what is wrong with mine yet. but you may see something in this thread to help you.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/325265-gnx-inspired-dash-2.html
Tony: Thats the thread I used and from the info I got from my Casper parts it SHOULD work, I plan on calling Caspers and asking some questions. The only thing I did different was I lengthened the harness from the dead end sender on the tranny to extend thru the speedometer hole and over behind the glovebox. This way I have room to work on anything and have easier access. Doesn't change anything just makes it easier for me.

dsapper: Not sure that everyone has the cruise problem but the directions I used from 681tonburb were GREAT!!! Very detailed on the harness and what/what not to do's. Tonymach, Jooset and I have been the ones to copy this and have the same cruise problems

Markboss: I tried that on another unit (not my current set up) and the cruise and ECM did not get a signal??? Speedometer worked but it did not make sense why the ECM and cruise did not. Also I removed the speedometer cable completely and made room for all my wires to come thru the speedometer hole in the firewall on my current set up. What your saying SHOULD work, please don't let what I'm saying discourage other from trying (heck it's the only answer we have right now), but it won't work for me.