CROSSMEMBER Interchange?

Little6pack

I have an 82 regal that has a chebby v-8 with th350.
What crossmembers are interchangable or usable?

I busted mine & will need to know incase the welder cannot fab fix it.

Transmission crossmember right?

I believe they are all the same except for the 200-4R.

It depends on whether they used the original V-6/200C-250C crossmember. There are really only 3 G-body x-members they used. One is for Buick V-6 with 3 speed THM. One for Buick V-6 with OD(THM200-4R) and one for V-8 any trans. The best thing to do is get one from a 3 speed auto car with any engine. You can use the Buick one the only difference is the trans mount is offset so you have to use the correct trans mount with it assuming who ever did the swap used the stock transmission location. Eric Fisher

Now wait a second.

There's only two-gbody driveshafts that I know of... one for the 7.5" rear and one for the 8.5" rear. That means the front yoke of the driveshaft is in the same location on all models. That means the output shaft of the transmission is in the same location... again, regardless of engine, trans, etc.

However, the 200-4R does mount the TRANSMISSION mount much farther back than the TH200/250/350.. so that accounts for two variations of crossmember... what's the third one? Or am I missing something?

You are correct. The transmission output shafts(regardless of trans model) and centerlines are in the same locations. All applications except the Buick V-6(both turbo and NA) had the mount exactly centered under the tailshaft. The Buicks had the mount offset to the right side supposedly to help eliminate some of the vibration. Depending on the year of the frame there was also two mounting positions on the right side of the frame. Basic crossmember applications 1-V-8 with any automatic,2-Buick V-6 with 3 speed THM,3-Buick V-6 with overdrive. Eric

Here is what the welder did..
He found some G-body member that fit the frame correctly.
But the trans mount was centered on this new crossmember.

SO he moved it over to the right side of the car & welded it up offset.

He just duplicated what the rotted original one looked like.

So the answer is a few different styles exist. Or in my case since the car is going to be trashed in racing no harm in welding the mount into the correct location. :cool:

Interesting.

Is the trans mount offset on the transmission case, or is the entire driveline shifted over??