Credit cards vs Paypal payments?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Trying to cut back on business expenses a bit. Damn credit card companies really gig you with expenses. Now you have to pay for PCI compliance too if you accept credit cards. Have my site set up where I don't ever see your cc info and I still have to pay for this compliance BS. Thinking about only accepting payments with just Paypal from now on. You can use your credit card there too even if you do not have a Paypal account. Thoughts out there?

They want $200 to do this stupid PCI scan, total ripoff and tired of paying their monthly fees too. At least with Paypal you only pay the % of the sale.

I use PayPal a lot for my business as well as paying for stuff..... haven't had any issues..... and since i use it sooo much i actually get great customer service. One time some jackass hacked my apple acct. [which is/was linked to my PayPal] and charged all kinda retardedness for video games and add-ons and magic swords, spells, etc.... was a lot. I disputed it - they investigated it and gave me my money back pretty quickly.

aaron

We accept PayPal, bank checks, and money orders (drawn on US banks).

With PayPal there is a 30 cent fee + 2.9% of the transaction (US sales). The percentage is higher on sales to Canada and overseas.

We don't accept CCs due to what you are finding concerning fees and such.

Most customers already have a PayPal account, so no issues there.

RemoveBeforeFlight

hello; I use CC when ever I can and I don't know what a operation has to pay for it. I like it and it can protct you if there's a problem. PP probably has the same thing. But recently I had to pay a no paynent fee to PP as I never got any word thru the mail and I had to pay double for what the item was worth. The item was only like $50.00.
All I know if it can save the people some money that's what it's all about.
IBBY

You can use a credit card on Paypal. Don't have to have an account. I can eliminate all the BS charges from the merchant credit card account I have and don't have to worry about all their extra fees and a scanning of security on my site which is a scam since I don't store or even SEE peoples' credit card information. See attached pic to see where you would click on Paypal to use a credit card. Already changed my site as I am not paying that $200 fee to scan my site!

paypalpage.JPG

Theres a lot of new products and services coming out that are changing the way people pay for items/services and send others money. I don't think either of these really address your current dilema, but things are changing.

For small business guys theres, https://squareup.com/
-uses a smart phone to swipe a customers card, costs 2.75% per transaction

For person to person theres, https://www.chase.com/online/services/quickpay.htm

The industry is changing. Big box business not so much, but smaller guys are starting to get more options.

Home depot here in CA has Paypal as an option! I say do it, if it helps you out. Most people now a days have paypal, or even if they don't they can use their CC, like you said.

For small business guys theres, https://squareup.com/
-uses a smart phone to swipe a customers card, costs 2.75% per transaction

That's what I use ( although CC's are used very minimal for my biz )...it's great but they charge you more if you don't "swipe" the card....3.5% if I recall.

I hate PP and refuse to use it if possible.
Years ago PP refused to pay two vendors their money (one was over $10K on a VRod site) saying that there was a dispute but the customer got on the forums and said that they never protested the sales. Still PP refused to pay the vendors and they were supposed to go to court over it and this took over an year. I remember one vendor that had the same issues was here on TB.com.

As far as I'm concerned I don't want to go through a middle man to get paid or to pay for services.

KS

Mark, going with PayPal makes more sense to me...............you ARE eliminating all the BS by the credit card company/banks by doing it this way............makes sense this way in keeping your expenses down......JMHO.;)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Im all for it. Like the credit card companies need to charge fees. They rip you off as it is with thier 20%interest rates.

I hate PP and refuse to use it if possible.
Years ago PP refused to pay two vendors their money (one was over $10K on a VRod site) saying that there was a dispute but the customer got on the forums and said that they never protested the sales. Still PP refused to pay the vendors and they were supposed to go to court over it and this took over an year. I remember one vendor that had the same issues was here on TB.com.

As far as I'm concerned I don't want to go through a middle man to get paid or to pay for services.

KS

You don't have to use Paypal, you can pay with a credit card by going thru their site.

Yea, I know but I still don't trust them. I'm sure they are making something off the transaction somehow....maybe not..

ks
Every card transaction company makes something otherwise they wouldn't be in business. We have been doing business with PP for Many years without a problem and have been very happy buying & paying through them which is why we will also be switching over to PP very soon. Our online merchant takes 5% from each purchase made through our web site and a $0.30 transaction fee. We as business's have to cut corners to keep making the small profit that we do which in turn keeps the costs down for you the customer...

On "Large/heavy'' orders we normally like to get MO's or checks and wait until they clear before we send out the items. This way we can offer them a large discount (as in freight) for free and everyone Wins! Our last BAER brake order the customer HAD to use a charge card and could not send in a MO/Check so we done the right thing and accommodated him knowing the extra hit we were going to take. I still kept my word on "Free Shipping" and then we took a large hit because it cost us another 5% on top of that... In the end we actually lost money to make the customer happy!

We have been doing business with PP for Many years without a problem and have been very happy buying & paying through them which is why we will also be switching over to PP very soon.
You don't need to convince me, I won't ever trust them b/c this is exactly what the above TB vendor was saying for years who was a strong supporter of PP just until PP screwed them. Maybe PP changed their policy since all this happened but if vendors feel they need to do it, go for it.
Maybe the thread is in the archives or maybe it was posted before the big crash. I'll see if I can dig it up..

Mark H.,
Wasn't it you that had issues with PP long ago or do you remember who it was?

ks

We take PP and CC as well and what really gets under my skin is it seems the CC fees are all over the place. It's supposed to be a set percentage plus small fee but then if a certain credit card is used there are additional costs.. At least with paypal it seems to pretty consistent in the billing.

Peter

After the whole day yesterday and all day today we are almost done converting all of our (buy now) buttons over to the PayPal (Add to Cart) buttons...

Just by doing this we are saving 2.6% and $0.15 per transaction vs our old on line merchant and to make things even better we are now able to take credit cards at events with the new "PayPal Here" credit swiper for my android phone at only 2.6%