crate engines

What's a rear end mini spool?

Mini spool is in the rear differential, instead of a posi center section or limited slip/spider gears it has a solid piece of metal connecting the two axles. Best for a race car, not so great for a daily driver. They lock the rear axles, which makes the tires screech sometimes when turning sharp corners. Also seems to push the front tires in a turn as well. Looks like this:

Summit Racing SUM-G7801 - Summit Racing® Mini Spools - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Would the plugs be fouled if he just replaced them 4 days ago?

Not sure what would cause plugs to foul so fast. Oil fouled or fuel fouled? If fuel, could be a stuck injector, but that would be only one...

Oil fouled could be valve guides and seals, but if real bad, I would suspect the turbo. You can pull the intake pipe off the throttle body and see if it is soaked with oil inside. If so, the oil is coming from the turbo. Depending on the turbo oil feed, it can be pushing the oil past the seal, especially if there is too much pressure, or the oil return is clogged.

Easy day, just will take some troubleshooting and research. Skip the crate motor idea for now. This could be a simple fix, and you are in good hands on this board!

comp cam 218-28 108degrees.

Those pictures tell alot. It gives us an idea of what you have.

I was going to say before I read the list, that it has alot of mods and should run high tens with a built motor.

I quote the cam because if it really needs a rebuild, this could be your problem. Search bad cam blank or wiped cam on this site.

How old is the gas?

Before you start or coutinue to drive, I would confirm the motor is fine. Check the oil.

Can you explain how it burns oil?

Does it smoke? When, Where? How?
Also, explain how it doesn't run they way you think it should.

You might get lucky and just have a small easy fix..

Take some better pictures, but to start with, there are a pair of electrical plugs that look to be connected together on the drivers side of the engine. One of the plugs is green.

These should not be plugged together and will keep a factory tach from working.

Check the oil, to make sure it doesn't look milky or green. Sometimes a blown headgasket will put water/antifreeze in the oil. This will kill the engine quickly.

Look around at all the vacuum lines and hoses for loose or cracked hoses. Take good closeup pictures, as we (yes, all of us) have memorized where they all go. A vacuum leak will make the car run badly. and is an easy fix.

Scan the ECM for codes, and other data if you can borrow a scanner.

Check to see what chip is installed in the ECM and make sure it matches the injectors.
(again, with pics, we can identify it)

If the engine is built close to right, we surely can walk you thru fixing the driveability issues.

Any knocking, ticking, or smoke? If so under what conditions and what color smoke?

How does it start, idle, and drive? Stay out of boost until we nail down the basics.

And, with any turbo car, run the best gas/highest octane you can find

Bob

ATR Valve Covers

You def need to figure out what you have... Did the seller give you a list of mods and parts? I see some aftermarket stuff already... Turbo, intercooler (looks like a front mount), intake pipes, fuel gauge, valve covers (of which I have NEVER seen any like those before), downpipe, ATR wastegate, vacuum block, maybe the throttle body, etc, etc.

Don't know about the rest of this engine set up, but looks to be an old set of "ATR" Grand National Valve Covers. I used to have a set. Here's some close up pics.

Attachments

• ATR Valve Covers 001.jpg
    ATR Valve Covers 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 220
  • ATR Valve Covers 002.jpg
    ATR Valve Covers 002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 219
Don't know about the rest of this engine set up, but looks to be an old set of "ATR" Grand National Valve Covers. I used to have a set. Here's some close up pics.

davpar, those are bada$$! Never seen those til today!

Valve Covers

davpar, those are bada$$! Never seen those til today!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but here's some more information on the ATR valve covers. If you've got an old ATR catalogue, you will see them listed.

In addition to the "Grand National" valve covers that ATR offered they also had the same style of valve covers featuring the "Buick & turbo 6" logo too. I have a set that looks similar, but are not ATR's.

If you keep your eyes peeled......you might find a set come up for sale, but you gotta act quickly casue they will go fast!

Attachments

• Buick ATR Valve Cover1.jpg
    Buick ATR Valve Cover1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Buick ATR Valve Cover 4.jpg
    Buick ATR Valve Cover 4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 193