Engine Replacement Or Fix Piston Ring

TornillosBuick

Hey Fellas - New here and hoping to get suggestions. Archie at GN1 Performance built my car but he let me know I have a bad piston ring on cylinder 1. Quoted me 14k for new standard motor and labor which is a little much right now.

So I’m stuck between trying to repair myself or buying a new engine online and swapping all the good parts if that’s even possible but autozone has crate engines but not sure if those are are reliable in anyway

Thoughts / Suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• BAF3EC00-6810-428A-8EDE-7692B36F1743.jpeg
    BAF3EC00-6810-428A-8EDE-7692B36F1743.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 115
Do you know how the bad ring was diagnosed?
If you are mechanically inclined, you can pull and disassemble and confirm what is wrong.
If it is truly a bad ring, and the cylinder is in good shape, you can do a light hone (I would do all cylinders) and replace the rings. That would be after a good inspection of everything else while it is apart. That is a difference of hundreds vs thousands. Stay away from the crate engines.

if that a little steep for you its time to get your hand dirty. yes there are good engine builders out there.
Do you know what in this engine ?

Archie at GN1 Performance built my car but he let me know I have a bad piston ring on cylinder 1. Quoted me 14k for new standard motor and labor which is a little much right now.
Huh? Archie built your car and then let you know that ? I agree with all the replies but I'm not sure i understand that scenario.. but by all means fix what you have.. If you are serious about owning a TR understand there is a learning curve and its not for the weak of heart, but its not brain surgery either.

Huh? Archie built your car and then let you know that ? I agree with all the replies but I'm not sure i understand that scenario.. but by all means fix what you have.. If you are serious about owning a TR understand there is a learning curve and its not for the weak of heart, but its not brain surgery either.
I read it that way first.
But I’m sure it went like this.
1. Archie built it
2. Previous owner hurt it.
3. Sold it.
4. New owner returned to Archie for advice.
5. New owner is overwhelmed with bad news looking for help to get out of the rock and hard spot.
To our new TR owner if you can remove the engine strip it down to the short block you are about half way fixed.
I would send it to a good Turbo Buick builder after a conversation over the phone our in person.
If not these builders can do a long block.
But a turn key job will be $

I think the best advise I can give you is to get a 2nd opinion. I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but since you're dealing with Archie I'm guessing it's So. Cal. If so get in touch with Lou Czarnota AKA: Turbo Lou. Although he isn't always the most user friendly guy he knows everything about these cars. He can give you the straight story and recommend rebuild options as necessary.

Neal

If the cylinder and piston are fukd don't worry about it. I raced a .030 over engine and it cracked two cylinders into the water jackets. I just had the cylinders sleeved and kept going. If the piston is damaged and needs to be replaced have the rotating assembly balanced.

if you can get the eng to phoenix....these guys are good

Fix what you have, look around on FB marketplace for a decent used engine out of another GN, or swap in a non-turbo 3.8 and run it till it blows if you're not making 500+ hp. I would not spend 14k unless you have a sub 50k mile, mostly original, mint '87 car. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! My bad for not making that much sense I actually had the car for about 12 years now and it sat in the garage for the last 4 so I had took it to Archie at GN1 Perf to get it prepped for fresh key turn put about 5K into it new exhaust/valve covers/hoses/seals complete flush gas/oils/freeze but turned out after all that had a bad piston ring which was reason for the exhaust smoke buzzkill had no idea ran like a champ when I parked it always thought it was just valve covers but it is what it is
Actually met with TurboLou today and decided he’s my best option knows his stuff man honest guy dropped deposit too so I should be in there soon once I get the call

I think the best advise I can give you is to get a 2nd opinion. I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but since you're dealing with Archie I'm guessing it's So. Cal. If so get in touch with Lou Czarnota AKA: Turbo Lou. Although he isn't always the most user friendly guy he knows everything about these cars. He can give you the straight story and recommend rebuild options as necessary.

Neal
What Neal said^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for all the feedback!!! My bad for not making that much sense I actually had the car for about 12 years now and it sat in the garage for the last 4 so I had took it to Archie at GN1 Perf to get it prepped for fresh key turn put about 5K into it new exhaust/valve covers/hoses/seals complete flush gas/oils/freeze but turned out after all that had a bad piston ring which was reason for the exhaust smoke buzzkill had no idea ran like a champ when I parked it always thought it was just valve covers but it is what it is
Actually met with TurboLou today and decided he’s my best option knows his stuff man honest guy dropped deposit too so I should be in there soon once I get the call

You're working with the best, now. :)

Wow, I assume they knew it was smoking? BTW 14K for a stock engine rebuild? Makes me wonder what they are smoking...

Wow, I assume they knew it was smoking? BTW 14K for a stock engine rebuild? Makes me wonder what they are smoking...

On top of the 5K he already spent buying shiny stuff from Archie........

Be careful of that downpipe, that's all I'll say.

Lou's taking on more work? ;)
He must have hired a new farm hand to watch his concubine! o_O