crankcase evac in downpipe/testpipe

1320n10

Will a standard evac system work? I see some people are using electric vacume pumps and wanted to know if a pipe welded into the dump tube and ran to the passenger side valve cover would work

Walt,

Ken Duttweiler did something similar to this on one car I've seen. I've got to think that using the exhaust to scavange the crankcase will work fine on our cars. The guy who owns the car I'm talking about is Reginald West. You might want to drop him a line.

Neal

I would also like to know this. This was asked on Corral.com but one of the "respectful engine guys" said that they only work with open headers. Mufflers can cause backpressure that will only blow into the block. I thought the valves were a one way valve but maybe they don't work that great..
I personally think they'd work ok....:confused:

ks

Has anyone ever seen a "Crank Evac to Valve Cover" system on any street car? I have not, but have always considered the idea.

Pan evacs are not to be used with street mufflers they will blow exhaust into the motor. I just went through this with a s/b nova and called moroso. They confirmed the evac is not to be used with mufflers unless the evac is entered into the exhaust after the mufflers

Originally posted by 1320n10
Will a standard evac system work? I see some people are using electric vac pumps and wanted to know if a pipe welded into the dump tube and ran to the passenger side valve cover would work

After a couple years of trying to figure out how to do this, we finally used a baffled line from the valve cover to the turbo intake. Sounds like a stock-type set up? Well, it seems to work great on the race car.

There is a little vacum to pull the pressure from the crankcase at high RPM. An evac system does not work good as the turbo will slow down the exhaust too much to be effective. Would really like to do a vac pump, but not allowed in NHRA stock class racing.