Crank balancer capscrew thread

87LtdT

Trying to remove the single large capscrew that hold the balancer on the crank nose...can't break it loose.

Is it a standard thread or left hand thread??

Thanks...Bob

Bob, it's righty tighty, lefty loosey. It is a right hand thread so counter clockwise will loosen it. Might have to use a big cheater bar as they are torqued around 210- 220 Ft. Lbs.

Well that is exactly why I asked. I thought it was a standard thread i.e. "lefty loosey" but my air impact wouldn't budge it. So borrowed a more powerful impact gun and it still won't budge...it's a new build too. Hopefully it isn't locktighted on!!

Thanks...I'll be looking to borrow a big mamma jamma impact from a technician at work.

Bob

Yup,
Iv'e seen quite a few impacts that won't touch them. I take a two foot pipe wrench to hold the rear hub of the crank or jamb a BIG screwdriver in the flywheel teeth and then use my 1/2in 250 lb. torque wrench with a two foot piece of pipe on it and they come loose.

In 2002 my timing chain broke on I-70 a few miles from connersville, IN

had it towed to an Autozone store. I bought the parts right there and was going to change it. That's how I learned that the balancer bolt was really freaking hard to get loose. They let me keep it there. Ended up trailering it back to my house(springfield, ohio) and fixed it. Used a 1/2" ratchet with a pipe on it.

Funny thing is,,, I was on my way to look at an 83 regal w/87 drivetrain for sale. didnt make it of course.

I hate jamming things between other things to stop rotation....always worry that one of those things will break...and then I'll be sad :)

I work with a bunch of diesel engine techs....I'm sure I can find somebody with a BIG impact...

Your right Bob, worry about it and it'll break. Don't worry about it and it won't break or should I say I haven't broke anything YET and Iv'e done it the big screw driver way plenty of times.

Take a pair of vise grip pliers and clamp them on the flexplate and that will stop the crank from turning once it wedges up against the block.

I use a 2 foot breaker bar 1/2'' drive with 1&1/8'' deep socket to remove the balancer/hub bolt with and i do use loctite red or blue and it still comes off fairly easy.

I used a vise grip on the flexplate, a half inch breaker bar (1-1/8 " socket) and a cheater pipe. Came right off. Impacts mostly don't work but maybe a 3/4" impact would but who has one of those in their tool box except maybe a large garage?? ;)