Cracked,wobbling crank damper?

Tony sy2356

Okay so this is weird.

Got to look at this GN that a guy brought to me because he thought that a head gasket had let go. That story is here

I took a good look at it today, his complaint was a coolant leak, a weird noise, and smoke from the engine. He was out driving it the other day when he says it kinda stuttered and missed a few times then lotsa smoke.

It never got hot or quit, he took it directly home, about a mile and called me. The car was trailered here last night.

After a look tonight I don't think he lost ahead gasket at all. I found the upper rad hose rubbed on the water pump pulley and leaking, and a bunch of oil under the motor.

I pulled off the belt to track the noise and found the damper wobbling on the end of the crank. The center bolt is tight, or seems to be. I didn't bring home my 1 1/4 socket tonight to check.

I'm guessing that the sleeve split and is now loose on the crank. Anyone ever run into this before?

The engine is fairly new, under 1000 miles. It has been run hard, spent time on the dyno, etc. I'm really hoping the crank is okay and it didn't hurt the journal.

I'd guess that the front seal is toast, it looks like one that needs to be changed from the inside, rats.

Does anyone know if you can still buy a damper from the general?

I'll take it apart and see what exactly is broken tommorow.

Tony