cracked headers

84wh1

pimp romeo
I know that cracked headers are a common problem with TR so what I want to know is, how big are your cracks on your headers. Mine are hairline cracks. Are hairline cracks big enough to loose some boost because I only get 15 lbs max with wastgate all the way down and 93 chip. Thanks.

I just changed my headers with some welded stock ones i had one crack on the drivers side header and two on the other. They looked so small i did not think it would make a big deal i could see a little light if i looked in sie the headers very small cracks. when i change them the car idle better and gained a lot of power. Its the best mod i have done.Fix the cracks you will be very happy with the power you get from it.

hope this helps

Hey Marc. Yea my headers were cracked... they didn't look too bad, sort of spiderwebby, but they were fairly bad. I was only building 13psi of boost with a good chip, and 10psi w/the stock chip. Didn't have an adjustable wastegate tho. I got Terry's stock headers when I bought his motor, they were also cracked, not as bad as mine though.

Nick knows a guy who's good with welding, and he welded Nick's headers, so I gave Nick all 4 of my headers and got them back welded, for a damn cheap price too :)

Craig was saying that with the fixed up headers it will be a lot quiter under the hood and run a lot better. So I'm lookin forward to it (engine going in soon!)

Since I pulled my engine, getting the headers off was nothing, but I'm told they're not too bad to take off with the engine in the car. Each header's held on by 6 bolts (3 on top, 3 on the bottom). No gasket even. If your drivers side is cracked, you should be able to pull that one pretty easily (unbolt the crossover pipe first).

Like crazygn said, they are definitely worth it. You probably don't want to take it to a shop though (unless u can find a nice and honest one who knows what they're doing). I asked minute muffler about mine and they said it would be about a days labour! That's not something I'd want to pay for :)

Craig could definitely help you out if you're interested.

Oh yea man, I forgot, I said I could get your car on my tlink or gtech. I'd love to do that for ya. TLink'll give ya some good info about turning and whatnot, and of course the gtech'll give you (with pretty good accuracy) your 1/4 mile time & mph. So yea, if you're ever interested, try me at home at 269-7363

see ya!

Dave

Thanks dudes, I will pull of my headers as soon as I get the chance. Maybee next weekend. And Dave, do you know how much the headers were to get fixed? Ballpark figure. Thanks for the advice. Dave ,Maybe some time in the next week or so, you can T link my car and we can find out some stuff.

Sure Marc no prob. You didn't sound too interested in the t-link before so I guess the idea sort of died down. Yea we can hook up, that'd be cool.

As far as price, I was going to mention it but decided maybe it was better not to. Anyway, who cares. Nick's bud wanted $60 for my 4 headers, and he had to remove the heat shield and put it back on (I think they're welded on). Also I had one broken bolt in each of my headers (damn rust), which he fixed for me.

I'd say between $40-$60 cash. Definitely worth it. Hopefully he welded em good, I'd hate to have to take mine off anytime soon :)

See ya at the track Marc!

Dave