Cowl induction, dont hate me

T-Type85David

The hood i have on it's pretty bad. Someone dented up the lil bump n dings 2. Now i could maybe bondo it back n reshape n all that. OR what i was thinking is cutting the hood n adding a cowl induction scoop, like the Z28 cowl induction. Not just for look wise, also to let the HA get out of the engine bay. I love the TR hoods no doubt one of the killer looks that NOBODY ELSE has. which is why i have a spare hood GREAT SHAPE. I didnt want the hood to go to waste so what do you guys think. Does anyone have a pic of this, or some type of other hood on a TR?
It wouldn't be a CRAZY 5'' induction hood more like 2 1/2 maybe 3 tops. ;)

the air pressure built up at the base of the windshield at road speeds will pretty much stop any air from flowing out of the engine bay.. but it will run cooler around town.

if the hoods already dicked up, i'd go ahead and do it, alot more people will mistake it for a monte carlo tho haha....ignorance (tisk tisk) but yea, i've never seen it done so your goin into uncharted territory my friend

See i hate to speak of this HA IC, but its true. IF i were to get a 2 1/2 or 3'' cowl hood/scoop. Since i have a MC fan shourd already it would give me room for IC pipes. reclock the turbo, run it towards the RAD, then down, under/over into the IC (FMIC) then back over/under RAD, UP towards the hood/intake, Run it back, OVER the compressor housing, then down into the INTAKE. (MORE OR LESS):wink: might have lost some people on this.

OR so there would be no need for a FMIC, LIC would better, it would stay in the engine bay, kept lower temps(done right) Tho im sure most will say for drag LIC all the way but street Air to air. I just wonder how the syclone n typhoon have LIC n drive on the street still. Is it a different setup or way its hookup?? OF course when i think of LIC, i mean not a STRAIGHT DRAG setup, coolant tank with ice only. I mean, a kit from frozenboost.com or some other.

Tho i wanted to just Save a TR hood n the cowl hoods look nice. YEAH! i would be called a MC sometimes:rolleyes: haha but i WILL SAY NO< ITS a TURBO REGAL!;)

HAHA haha its ok:cool: dont LAUGH NOW haha:D sorry for the 5th grade design but more or less to get the IDEA;)
l_e47f1055d90e4a6b919f302c196352714.jpg

pipes go down to make it a LIC or a FMIC, maybe stock IC TR location but up to the driver. WIth the cowl hood, the pipes should fit, yes? Im gonna say a 3'' would but 4'' would give you more room.

Not my cup of tea, i like the 2 1/2 cowl hood, 3 max. I hate wheni see guys with 6'' cowl hoods or just DRAGED out cars n then no go under the hood damn it haha, not hating here just saying.

Wait wait. Are you talking about putting in a Spearco intercooler or an intercooler from an 86/87?

lic = liquid ic

dude, just say water/air or air/air. more people use those terms here.

i've been wondering how hard it would be to get a Paxton liquid/air intercooler like they sell with their supercharger kits and use that on my 84. the airflow goes in and out the same side of the intercooler, so just re-clock the turbo to point forward and put the intercooler on top of the intake, and then make up an elbow off the back of the intercooler that goes down into the intake- a nice and short airflow path from the turbo to the intake. plumb inthe waterlines and heat exchanger in front of the AC condenser, and it's good to go.

well, i don't think it has to be a brand or whatever. This is just an idea. Products used,couples,pipes etc its all up to the owner. OK OK water to air haha(LIC) haha;)

but as for the frozenboost kits or whatever kit the owner goes with, have to mount the IC or water to air, make brackets,fab up something.

I see the design of the Spearco kit and it really if you still have a stock fan shroud. They made the kit good but again it was made with the HA fan shroud in mind.Along with the hood, no cowl hood or scoop. Couldn't run pipes there, no room with our hoods. So this way(i guess my way) The IC pipes wouldn't be long n look way better(IMO)

Oh, no this is not for the 86/87 IC location, i mean you could do that but in my mind, it was for a FMIC or water to air.

you have a problem here with making your own kit.... im not sure if you've ever had the turbo off but the deal is this.

headgasket%20054.jpg

how do you figure you are going to connect the charge pipes to the intake?

you are going to have to have someone make you a part. do you know anyone that can do that?

:D THATS A NICE INTAKE;) if your speaking of HOW TO get the IC pipes hook up to where the turbo inlet bell goes in. Then yeah i have thought about this, now you could have someone weld a same size pipe about 2-3'' higher so a slicone coupler could grab better. But if you ever wanted to go back to stock then no. If you had a spare inlet bell or one that fit the same. You could use that and use that n fab up something. maybe even just use a slicone reducer, whatever size the inlet bell is then get higher in size.

I have taken the turbo off myself and put it back, getting it off is easy. OK OK the 1st time i did it took few hrs, the 2nd time took me 15mins;) :D Getting the SOB on there is another thing.
I had to take off my hood and stand on my turbo so it could go in the damn intake. I know im sure there were other ways but i was the best way for me n popped right in with my 210lb body on it:rolleyes:

Well, what do you guys think?? im sure its undone idea but more or less, you guys get the idea behind my Cowl hood and IC setup? well
??? feedback??

As screwed up as the air flow is, in a hotair intake, I'd wonder just how much help a small water/air would be...
Some yrs ago, there was a guy cutting, modifying, and rewelding the H/A manifolds. Maybe use 1 of them??
Easier to just do an 86/87 system, and call it good.

The hood i have on it's pretty bad. Someone dented up the lil bump n dings 2. Now i could maybe bondo it back n reshape n all that. OR what i was thinking is cutting the hood n adding a cowl induction scoop, like the Z28 cowl induction. Not just for look wise, also to let the HA get out of the engine bay. I love the TR hoods no doubt one of the killer looks that NOBODY ELSE has. which is why i have a spare hood GREAT SHAPE. I didnt want the hood to go to waste so what do you guys think. Does anyone have a pic of this, or some type of other hood on a TR?
It wouldn't be a CRAZY 5'' induction hood more like 2 1/2 maybe 3 tops. ;)[/QUO

cow hood,look at this abortion,thats what your car is going to look like!!!! http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/1005589268.html

HAHA haha its ok:cool: dont LAUGH NOW haha:D sorry for the 5th grade design but more or less to get the IDEA;)
l_e47f1055d90e4a6b919f302c196352714.jpg

pipes go down to make it a LIC or a FMIC, maybe stock IC TR location but up to the driver. WIth the cowl hood, the pipes should fit, yes? Im gonna say a 3'' would but 4'' would give you more room.

Not my cup of tea, i like the 2 1/2 cowl hood, 3 max. I hate wheni see guys with 6'' cowl hoods or just DRAGED out cars n then no go under the hood damn it haha, not hating here just saying.

Look at this ic adaption. Resoration 2 folder waco84gn's photos and albums on webshots

eBay Motors: 1981 82 83 84 85-87 Buick Regal 2" Cowl Hood Fiberglass (item 260288229897 end time Feb-13-09 09:17:17 PST)

i was thinking more like this, again NOT a BIG cowl hood, i kinda hate them! unless its a derby or DRAG CAR MAYBE

or maybe this if its the only bigger size but its pushing it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-8...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

if i could find a 2 1/2 or 3'' cowl then great/
Tho ithink the best n cheapest way would be to just buy a summit z28 fiberglass cowl scoop. Then bondo it on there or bolt it then bondo whatever. OF course i would have to cut the hood to make the damn cowl work you know. "DON"T YOU KNOW"

FMSTER, YEAH LIKE THA BUT YOU see he has to run the IC pipes in back/around the TB, my design would be
1104480082052031645S500x500Q853453.jpg
Hate to use this pic in sure a mannEr but had to. Sry.

The cowl hood would give room to run the IC pipes back/ up n over the COmpressor housing.Even if the IC pipes would small, same size as the intake inlet. Still would be cooler air. His location is great cuz its like the 86/87 model with shourd. Loving it, but im also thinking of the water/air IC kit or FMIC as well.

Up in he air but just an idea had. Tho again i hate to lose,not see my TR hood. I have a spare tho HEHE.

spearco kits had an adapter but it was kind of a POS. i have one that has been hacked up and it wont work how it was intended but it is possible, you just have to realise there is not much clearance under the turbo...

the crap part about it is because of the lack of clearance you have to route the charge pipes behind the intake, fuel rail, valvecover, then make a 90* turn and run them over the header and down to the front mount.... kind of a useless venture to cool the air and then have it run through a pipe thats inches above your driver side header..

Exact LEE, My way would run the IC pipes over the Comp housing n then 90 or whatever down into the intake. Again you would need a cowl hood (or whatever you pick) to run the IC pipes that way.

From there you can make it a FMIC, water/air, or stock 86/87 IC location like the Pic above shows.

well im gonna say best bet is to weld up a Ring(type deal) from the intake inlet about 1-2'' higher to use a slicone coupler then run your IC pipes;)

Anybody getting me??:frown: