Couple questions about GNs...

87ttypeV8

cant beat the boost!
well i started working at a local car maintenance place and a few of the mechanics really took notice to my grand national and we started talking about it...

well first off this is a very stubborn guy that thinks he is right about everything and i THINK he is wrong on these following things but just wondering...

1-The GN motors have a "burp" valve on the back of the intake that acts like a blowoff valve to bleed off the boost...

2-his friends GN was running 60 psi of boost... yes that is right 60 lbs and he blew a hole in his intake manifold and that cracked his block because the burp valve stuck....

3-if i direct my windshield washers directly on the intercooler i will gain at least 10 horsepower without even turning up the boost... just the water alone

4-denatured alchohol doesnt help to run more boost... i know that one is wrong but this bastard would listen...

5-and 1 more thing that was bothering me... the 97 Camaros that had the orange stripes... anniversary... the z28s and the SS's were much faster than the vettes of that year and just underrated... i think i heard there were LT4 options but not EVERYSINGLE car with the stripes were that fast... but the normal colored ones werent....

so can someone please tell me if he is right on any of this gibberish or do i just not know these things

1 BS
2 Highly unlikely
3 dont count on it
4 I run 94 methanol, 21lbs boost on a race chip 11.94 on drs driven tot the track layed down 3 passes went home. Never touched a thing. Morale is BS.

5 Not chebby person so could not tell you. I only see their headlights anyway.

If he wants proof, have him stop over my house. I can show him in person.

#3 might be right...water over the intercooler will help dissapate(sp?) some of the heat. The WRX's I think do this.

very few of the anniversary ed. Camaros recieved the LT4...and I highly doubt that those LT4 Camaros were running down LS1 1997 Corvettes. Tell the guy that you are going to need some boots to get out of all this muck :rolleyes:

alright thanks for the info... i thought it was all garbage but just wanted to make sure...

is there any way or has anyone ever heard of anybody running 60 lbs of boost on their GN? he said he could because it was a twin turbo and it is one of the fastest street cars in the country...

well it should be if he could pull of 60 lbs

Sounds like he watched an Indy race in the early 90's with Bobby Unser commenting. ;) :eek: :D

Good enough for me to be a turbo car expert. :cool:

I think they ran a few less pounds than that however. :p

Those Indy cars used to run about 45psi. Dodge (I think) had a concept car with a four cylinder that supposidly ran 90psi of boost. Of course those numbers may have been on paper and never actually conceaved.

Did you say this guy is a mechanic? And he came up with that garbage?
That is SCARRY!! :eek:

You must be working at a import garage! :rolleyes:

BTW a stock LT-4 in the rare SS was 330 HP. The LS-1 in a 97 Vette was 345 HP and a Vette is lighter than a Camaro.

Robbie, just for info if you are laying down water at the line you will be shut down. In most cases this would drip and end up on the rear tires. Not a good position when laying down a 1.50 or less 60 foot. Can get ugly real quick with wet tires. Not flamming you at all just wanted to say that this would not be a very viable solution. Most applications are usgin CO2 for cooling the IC. This supposedly helps although I think a water and ice IC would be cheaper easier and more effective.

sixnboost said:
Did you say this guy is a mechanic? And he came up with that garbage?
That is SCARRY!! :eek:

You must be working at a import garage! :rolleyes:

BTW a stock LT-4 in the rare SS was 330 HP. The LS-1 in a 97 Vette was 345 HP and a Vette is lighter than a Camaro.

I thought the only real LT4 F-bodies were the SLP Firehawks and no Camaro SS? Though I will agree, as good as the LT4 is, an LS1 in lighter platform, C5 'Vette, is going to run away from it.

Every one of those is just plain wrong. #3 has some theoretical viability, but is not practical.

Only 100 LT4 Camaros were produced in 1997. Thus, nearly all of the Anniversary Edition cars are 'regular' LS1s. The Anniversary Edition was mostly an appearance package and had the Hugger Orange stripes over white paint.

One of my brother's friends insists my GN is a fake because it has T-tops. 7-years of telling him otherwise hasn't helped. Evidently his uncle told him this and his uncle knows more than the people who actually own the cars. Good luck.

Jim

#2 might be true.. Wasn't it Vin Diesel that blew the welds on his intake manifold from too much naaawwwwwsssss?

1-The GN motors have a "burp" valve on the back of the intake that acts like a blowoff valve to bleed off the boost...
Um, nope. Just look. :confused:

2-his friends GN was running 60 psi of boost...and he blew a hole in his intake manifold and that cracked his block because the burp valve stuck...
Maybe his friend's GN had 2:1 compression. Or a Cummins diesel. :eek:

3-if i direct my windshield washers directly on the intercooler i will gain at least 10 horsepower without even turning up the boost...
Sure, why not just shoot some DIRECTLY at the tires, for good measure.

4-denatured alchohol doesnt help to run more boost...
Tell him to come see us run the ADRL Pro Mod event next weekend. D!ckhead.

5-...the 97 Camaros that had the orange stripes...were much faster than the vettes of that year and just underrated...
Nothing is faster than a Corvette, just ask your local dealer. ;):)

yeah and me aswell

i thought it was all jibberish but didnt want to look like a fool acting like... sure look at my intake manifold there isnt a burp valve and have there be one...

well thanks for the info... some people are just idiots i guess is the only explanation

87ttypeV8 said:
well i started working at a local car maintenance place and a few of the mechanics really took notice to my grand national and we started talking about it...

Stop working there or their disease may spread to you.

You are working with a bunch of morons that know nothing about a turbocharged buick, i wouldnt even bother trying to teach them how fix our cars. Working on turbobuicks might be your "nitch" at the next shop.
BW

It's amazing how ignorant people are. After debadging my DMR TR, I get the look from people after wasting them at a traffic light. It's the "I can't believe gramma's car beat my brand X car with NOS stickers..." :rolleyes:

turbojimmy said:
...nearly all of the Anniversary Edition cars are 'regular' LS1s.

That shoulda been a "T", as in LT1. Sometimes it pays to proofread before posting.

Jim