Couple performance questions

Yeah could block off exhaust crossovers on heads(got some spare 8445's porting them now)...my egr has a block off plate on it...looks like should be able to adapt the 301 comparing them. I dont have my plenum off right now to comepare the two...just wondering if the 301 plenum(ported) would be worth doing?

-I also have a spare intake manifold #25507680..looks same as 83 intake manifold minus it doesnt have the port for egr..81 model?

Yeah according to rich's site its a 81 turbo intake manifold. All the carb turbo intake manifolds basically the same as far as flow?

Flow yes, heat no. The 82-83 has the least heating of the intake because of the way they did the heat crossover in it.

On the compressor housing where the plenum bolts up...Is it easiest to drill holes in stock plenum larger until plenum lines up with 301 compressor housing? Just wondering if gonna run into problems with plenum not lining up flush with compressor housing if I start opening up the holes on plenum?

On the compressor housing where the plenum bolts up...Is it easiest to drill holes in stock plenum larger until plenum lines up with 301 compressor housing? Just wondering if gonna run into problems with plenum not lining up flush with compressor housing if I start opening up the holes on plenum?
You have 2 choices here. Either plug the original holes and have a machine shop redrill the compressor housing or do what I did. With the compressor housing off I lined up the center of the plenum inlet up with a compressor to plenum gasket and marked the area that needed to be cleaned up. Start with the top and bottom holes first and then when you get those done work on the other 4. One advantage I had was the part I cut off to have the same height on the 301 unit as the stock one. After I did the top and botton I used a tap to cut out the other 4 holes and then used a file to elongate them a little further for a tight fit.

IMAG0181.JPG
IMAG0183.JPG
IMAG0178.JPG
Update....

Sent turbo to Reed at work turbochargers and he installed a TO4E 60 trim compressor wheel and stage 2 turbine wheel with .63 83 t-type exhasut housing. Motors been gone thru 8445s ported and decked .030 .Double roller chain and HV oil pump..earl brown timing cover mods done. Went with the 204/214 cam. Did some porting on plenum and intake, blocked off exhaust crossovers except one that feeds plenum. Also had a 2 1/4 up-pipe made. Poston Headers.

Mocked it up using 86-87 valve covers. Has anyone tried this and been able to adapt them? Fill hole ends up under plenum with small amount of clearance and passenger side has A/C/alternator bracket covering front breather hole. May just clean up and reuse stock ones if too much hassle to use later ones.

Last edited:
Nice!

I've been trying to come up with a simple solution to run the factory aluminum covers, but haven't come across a good way yet. Are you keeping the AC compressor?

Swapping sides for the valve covers works, I did that on my original drawthru engine with the NA steel covers. Works for the aluminum covers too, the oil fill ends up under the down pipe and still accessible.

Yes going to keep the A/C. Thought I tried swapping these covers and it didn't work ..been a while ill re-try that. Seems like I seen a post a good while back where someone used them but searching I didn't find anything.

View attachment 213787 View attachment 213788 View attachment 213789 Update....

Sent turbo to Reed at work turbochargers and he installed a TO4E 60 trim compressor wheel and stage 2 turbine wheel with .63 83 t-type exhasut housing. Motors been gone thru 8445s ported and decked .030 .Double roller chain and HV oil pump..earl brown timing cover mods done. Went with the 204/214 cam. Did some porting on plenum and intake, blocked off exhaust crossovers except one that feeds plenum. Also had a 2 1/4 up-pipe made. Poston Headers.

Mocked it up using 86-87 valve covers. Has anyone tried this and been able to adapt them? Fill hole ends up under plenum with small amount of clearance and passenger side has A/C/alternator bracket covering front breather hole. May just clean up and reuse stock ones if too much hassle to use later ones.
Thats the exact setup my car has but a bigger cam Reed also did my turbo my car has 370 gears what gears you running ?

Stock 3.42 with posi added. I have a set of Richmond 3.73 but been advised to stick with the 3.42 unless going to 28" tall tire I have 255/60/15's on back now. Been debating on beefing up the 7.5 rear or just saving up and trying to find a 8.5 rear.

I've been running the 7.5" rear with a 3.42 gov-lok posi for years now. Plenty of burnouts and I launch with about 5 psi.

why not put the 373 in I love mine dont give a crap what the other guys say drive my car alot probably to much no complaints it spools as fast as the pedal hits the floor, but I took off the quadrajunk and threw it on the shelf where they belong:D

Stock 3.42 with posi added. I have a set of Richmond 3.73 but been advised to stick with the 3.42 unless going to 28" tall tire I have 255/60/15's on back now.

If I did everything I was advised to do me life would suck its alright TO WALK ON THE WILD SIDE dare to be differant.Right now it has a 3310 780 cfm but it usually has a 670 cfm Holleysn respond so much better then my quadraturd did

Last edited by a moderator:
The people that tell you to stick with a 3.42 are most likely SFI guys running much faster than 14's. From what I have seen, this is based in the RPM they are running as they end the quarter mile and trying to avoid shifting into 4th gear. A near stock '83 TR is not going to have this problem. Or if you not running the quarter mile, then it doesn't matter much. I have a 3.73 from a Monte SS that I may try one day.